GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2000 silverado with the z71 package, could anyone explain what kind of rear end it has and if its a limited slip or a locker and how it works exactly. when it engages its pretty harsh and it seems like sometimes i only have 1 wheel spinning but then it engages and i was just wondering if everyone elses engages rough 2. is it supposed to act like an open diff then lock when you need the extra taction?

·
Registered
147 Posts
My 03 2wd Silverad gas the auto locking rear, it does the same thing and has since it was new.

For instance: when one wheel spins on wet grass it will make a loud clunk noise and then it locks and will spin both wheels.

I have never seen any instructions on how to properly engage/disengage...

Bert

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Eaton Auto Locking Differential

The Auto-locking differential on GM Trucks is supplied by Eaton. It is a mechanical unit, unlike the electronic type offered on the Hummer H2. Being an 'autolocker' means that it operates without intervention by the driver. It is not a favorite of off roaders yet, but it is the preferable alternative to most limited slip diffs. Canadian Driver has a nice article on the Eaton unit. YouTube has a great demo video:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-rQTHMVAuw[/media]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts