GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, everyone.

New member, so I apologize if this is in the wrong spot or previously done before. If already existing, please shoot me a link and I'll take this down, if possible.

I have a 2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 with about 460k miles on it. In the last few years, I have replaced both front spindle bearings (hub bearing assemblies) at least twice. I'm not sure if it is just crappy parts (NAPA stuff) or if I bent the upper control arm attachment (pivot) points in my younger, more intelligent days. Does anyone have pictures of both the passenger and driver side attachment points and frame shape? I would like to verify I haven't screwed something up and move on with finding the real problem.

Thank you.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
when I do the brake pad replacing I check up the hub assy speed sensors and I pump lithium based grease in the hub assy. GM oem hubs used a seal that rusted out .. both .. I use timken hub assy now.. I have the 2000 sikverado LT1 4X4 ext cab.. 175K miles on it ..I only replace the hubs both side once still no problems and NO ABS braking issues..
NO LIFT OEM stock height.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when I do the brake pad replacing I check up the hub assy speed sensors and I pump lithium based grease in the hub assy. GM oem hubs used a seal that rusted out .. both .. I use timken hub assy now.. I have the 2000 sikverado LT1 4X4 ext cab.. 175K miles on it ..I only replace the hubs both side once still no problems and NO ABS braking issues..
NO LIFT OEM stock height.
Thanks for the info. I'm also running almost entirely stock. I think I'm 2 tire sizes larger than stock.

I'll have to look into some better hub assemblies if this keeps up. How many miles do you have on the new units?

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
I replaced my OEM factory hubs back in 2004 .. timken hubs still working .
but as I stated I pump grease in the hub on the brake pad change and test the sensors for the .5volt ac signal when I spin the hub ...

years ago I posted this procedure many had no problems pumping the grease in the hub .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, everyone.

New member, so I apologize if this is in the wrong spot or previously done before. If already existing, please shoot me a link and I'll take this down, if possible.

I have a 2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 with about 460k miles on it. In the last few years, I have replaced both front spindle bearings (hub bearing assemblies) at least twice. I'm not sure if it is just crappy parts (NAPA stuff) or if I bent the upper control arm attachment (pivot) points in my younger, more intelligent days. Does anyone have pictures of both the passenger and driver side attachment points and frame shape? I would like to verify I haven't screwed something up and move on with finding the real problem.

Thank you.
Mine had 450,000 miles with original everything except pitman arm Moog. How's the cam adjustments? Did somebody tell you you needed them?

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine had 450,000 miles with original everything except pitman arm Moog. How's the cam adjustments? Did somebody tell you you needed them?
I was told I needed new control arms before I bother getting another alignment, which may explain most of my issues if they're screwing up the wheel camber and, in turn, screwing up my bearings. Having researched more tonight on the symptoms of bad upper control arms (and then realizing how many of the symptoms Moses exhibits...), I'm going to be changing those out soon.

Thanks for the course correction!

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
with a lot of miles and age the control arm bushings should be replaced .. control arms bent then you got in an accident ..
visual inspection on the bushings with the tire removed is easy to determine .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts