GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Silverado 2500hd 8.1
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys new to the forum. I recently bought an 01 2500hd with the 8.1 and Allison trans with 166k on it, freaking love the truck. My wife and I are looking at fifth wheel trailers to tow and was wandering what is a good size or weight to look for ?

·
Registered
15,488 Posts
I suspect that truck can handle any thing you can toss behind it.

·
Registered
‘01 Silverado 2500HD 8.1/Allison 5sp xcab long bed
3,569 Posts
Yup. Do be aware that you might need airbags to keep the truck level depending on how big you go. Other than that, congrats on the score. Love mine, too. Towing beast.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right on good to hear, I’m not used to these heavy duty transmissions. When I was first driving it around town I would hear a whine in first gear and got scared and later learned that Allison’s do that cause it shifts like butter

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
yessir. If you’ve never heard an Allison, it can scare you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since we’re on the subject, with how limited of time they made the 8.1 some people don’t understand when I tell them “no not the 6.0 or 6.6 the 8.1 bro!” Ima bragger with my truck cause I’ve been wanting one fora long time

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Yessiree! I can’t stand that they made a true duals exhaust clear to the back of the too quiet muffler and then put wye pipe and single tailpipe. Omg?!?

Cant wait til I get my bonus later this month so I can finish the job and put a set of glasspacks on. True duals out the back straddling the spare.

A big block is meant to be heard.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Damn right 🍻🤙 I appreciate the feed back
Adawg, just pay attention to that yellow sticker in the driver door jam that lists PAYLOAD. Found out the hard way on mine, when you put all the cool stuff on like I have, you decrease payload by a lot. 5th wheels typically have a kingpin weight in the 2-3000k lb range. In stock form, our trucks can laugh at that. But start putting a lift, tires, brush guard, winch, extra battery, toolbox, running boards, etc. it all adds up and decreases that number. Can my truck still tow it? Hell yeah, like it wasn’t even back there. But legally, I was way over my gross vehicle weight. Word to the wise, keep the tow pig stock!

Reactions: AnacortesArmyGuy

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’ll keep it relatively stock I might do a lift soon, but nothin crazy, I’ve got a goose neck hitch set up already

·
Registered
210 Posts
If your going to tow a heavy trailer or 5th wheel RV DO NOT put larger tires on as it changes the final gearing higher and will cause trans failure.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What would you guys recommend for rear air bags, I’ve been looking at a few kits and they are all the same price around 300 +- $

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
If it was me making the purchase, I would go with the Firestone Ride Rite 2250’s from SDtruck springs.com

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If it was me making the purchase, I would go with the Firestone Ride Rite 2250’s from SDtruck springs.com
Aight I hear ya I looked at that kit, man you guys are awesome bow tie till I die. Forums like this are way more helpful than google rock on 🍻🇺🇸

·
Registered
2 Posts
In answer to the OP original question:

in a 5th wheel config. 15,500 lbs
on a bumper pull. 12,000 lbs

note that an extended cab 6.5 box is 100 lbs HIGHER capacity than the same year Duramax. In a 5th wheel capacity.

this is all in the manual.

My 01 i just bought last week with only 85k miles on it. Can you sat Minty!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts