GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,
Please help. My '01 5.3l Z71 with 4L60E cooling system overheats when towing my 27ft travel trailer through the Appalachian mountains. It has a "tow package", but it doesn't seem like the cooling systems is up to the job. Does it need a seperate trans cooler?? I pulled the thermostat out(it went bad) on the flatlands of northern Ohio last summer in 85deg heat--> That worked for a little while, but still overheated going back through the mountains. All fluid levels are good. Trans oil doesn't smell burnt. Camping season is here again and any insight into this problem will be very welcomed--Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
65 Posts
Try replacing your radiator cap as it may not be holding the correct pressure. Your truck should have a trans cooler already next to your condensor by the drivers headlight. Also check your water pump as it maybe starting to fail.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
As Magna86 said, check your cap and all Z-71's have a seperate factory trans. cooler. How old are the radiators hoses? Have you flushed the radiator? Your truck is 10 years old and maybe the radiator is partically plugged up, flows enough when not towing through mountains to cool the engine.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Just curious, how much does this 27 foot trailer weigh?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts