GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought this truck for my daughter and the ABS warning light keeps coming on. I tookj it in to a repair shop and they said that it was a grounding issue. They say that the brakes are fine. Charged me $140 and it came back on 2 days later. Called them back and now they say that the ABS module "probably" needs to be replaced at a cost of $1400 plus labor !!!

Anybody out there had this issue? Is there any known recalls for this issue here in Texas ? Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
533 Posts
why so much ? it's just a wheel bearing with the abs sensor aint it?

lookup your local autoparts store and see what they want for a wheel bearing with the abs sensor

then you be able to have an idea that there trying to rip yah off

good luck :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Was it a GM dealer $1,400 sounds very high, my Audi cost $700 which I thought was high. After I had it done I was told that the motors stick if not used in awhile, the supposed fix was to have someone pump the heck out of the pedal while you tap on the motor. Not sure if it really works but had to pass it on!!!!

The unit is a bit more complex then many realize, the electric motor in the module is what pumps the brakes. There are a few valve bodies and a fair bit of electrics!

Phil

·
Super Moderator
3,391 Posts
On the 2000 GMC sierra 3500, the ABS motor is directly below the ABS controller on the drivers side wheel well. The brake lines should run into the ABS control unit before going to the brakes.

·
Registered
163 Posts
On my 2000 Silverado the electro-hydraulic control unit is located along the left frame rail under the rear of the cab. Did all my brake lines last week and that is where I found it.

·
Registered
533 Posts
goto gmpartsdirect.com

they have it listed around 5 bills or so depending on ur model

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Im a fan of the low budget route. I unplugged my abs module and am driving a truck that I payed less for than the cost of a new abs module in the winter. :happy:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've had this same problem and I have a 02 Silverado. But I will be driving down the interstate and both the ABS AND THE BRAKE LIGHT will come on. And when I drive it my brakes make wierd noises like it's barely holding on but it's like a grappling noise. Just to let ya'll know my dad does everything to this truck and i have no knowledge of anything that goes on. I just get in and drive and get the oil changed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ABS warning light

Just bought this truck for my daughter and the ABS warning light keeps coming on. I tookj it in to a repair shop and they said that it was a grounding issue. They say that the brakes are fine. Charged me $140 and it came back on 2 days later. Called them back and now they say that the ABS module "probably" needs to be replaced at a cost of $1400 plus labor !!!

Anybody out there had this issue? Is there any known recalls for this issue here in Texas ? Any help appreciated.
i have a 2000 silverado and it did the same thing. easy solution, unhook the abs, who needs it anyway, and to fix a truck that age would never get that back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Take off your abs control module. It should be 4 star bit T-20 screws holding it on. Unplug all 3 sets of wires.
Take the controller inside to take apart.
With a razor knife, slice around the edges of the metal lid. It is silicone that holds it on. There is 3 flat indentations on the metal lid, use a stiff putty knife or a flathead screwdriver to pry each indentation.
Pull off lid, clean off silicone, set aside.

With a soldering iron heat each solder point until it melts. You can add more solder which is what I did.

I circled in green the known problem solder points that must be addressed.

The 2 spots I circled in orange need to be cleaned off and then apply new thermal paste (heatsink compound). Completely cover the area in orange.

Also the areas circled in purple need to cleaned as well as on the lid. Apply the Thermal paste to each purple circle.

Then apply water pump gasket sealant to the edge of the case, only apply on the edge where the lid touchs the case.
Let dry for an hour.
Reinstall on truck.
Took me a total of 2 hours which included walking to the auto store to get the sealant and thermal paste. Autozone carries both. Oriellys carries the sealant only.

Capture+_2018-09-30-20-48-59.png
Capture+_2018-09-30-20-53-57.png

Capture+_2018-09-30-20-50-49.png

1 - 13 of 13 Posts