GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install a K&N air kit. http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=57-3023-1
I'm not a mechanic but can do minor changes on vehicles. The instructions on the K&N site for this air kit seem thorough but I wanted to ask if anyone else has installed it or similar and could warn me of something not noted in the instructions. I also want to know if this will mess up the o2 readings and require my chip/sensor reprogrammed.

This is my first post here so be easy on me? Thanks

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Hey Matt, welcome. Don't be silly thats a perfectly good question. I have read some documents that warns against using them but I'm not sure of the validity of them. Just saying that some dealers want honour warranty due to residue build up from oiling filter. You could research that. But I'm sure tons of people have done it and had no problems.
I just use Fram myself, but good luck. Maybe someone else will have something to add.

·
Super Moderator
6,542 Posts
That instruction sheet is right on. Shouldnt be a hard project for a non-mechanic to put the new intake on the truck.

Have you looked at drop-in dry flow filters?

The reason I ask is the stats for drop-in cartridges are about the same as the FIPK. But they cost less and are a direct filter swap. With a dry flow filter you dont have oiling issues that seem to plague most people after this change. And as was discussed a few days ago on another thread most aftermarket intakes draw air from under the hood, drawing in heated air, while this might be great in cold weather, in warm weather areas this isnt so good, colder air ='s more HP and better mileage. The factory airbox already draws air from outside of the engine compartment.
Just some thoughts for ya.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have not looked into the drop in dry flow filters but will. I'm not set on the FIPK, especially if it is likely going to cause me more maintenance with the oil build up. I want to keep this pig of a vehicle (Unless you want to trade it for the Chevelle :smile: ) but have to look for as many ways to counter the gas prices.

My dad had a 66 Chevelle that he paid $2300 for back in the day. I like the 1970 chevelle but can only dream about it. But that is another thread... Thanks for the lead.

·
Registered
8 Posts
No Problem

I have this on my 2001 Suburban 1500 4wd.... the only concern I have is on the freeway, you can hear it pretty loud through the firewall, besides that it's all good. Had the car in CA never had a problem with smog since it's CARB approve.

Not sure if you got it yet, except for the noise your hear and the cost of it... not a bad addition. Response is better and faster.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Service whatever you use.

The most important factor in a filter's real world performance is how the owner services it. If you use a dry paper filter and never change it.....doh! There is much debate, rumor and myth about filters. I find it easier to accept statements backed up with data such as SAE J726 testing. You can read some great and not so great stuff here: K&N, vettenet, Amsoil.

So use dry paper, or oiled media, but be sure to check it once and a while. I take my burb off road alot. My preference is to use a drop in K&N, and service it every 3 months.

·
Registered
561 Posts
i normally use the drop in stock style oil replacement filters. the longer cone filters are nice, but most draw air in from the engine compartment. this is slow moving hot air and ithe heat will offset the horse powerg gain and you are out the money. on the broncos we found it sounds faster but actually drop power and MPG some. in Brutis (the suburban) we been getting 16-24 MPG and i been very happy with the performace of the filter. if you read this style filter is better for the forgetfull person. it actually cleans better as it gets dirter. i had mine in 6 months and 20,000 miles now and it is still running great. i put the drop in into all my vehicles and never been unhappy yet. hope this helps...mike

·
Super Moderator
6,542 Posts
The best way I've found to clean a K&N filter is to make sure I have plenty of time to allow the filter to dry and soak. I usually clean the filter in the evening and allow it to drain excess oil overnight. Then replace it in the vehicle the next morning.
Remove filter from vehicle.
Spray outside of filter media with K&N cleaning solution.
Allow a few minutes for solution to soak into the filter media.
Rinse filter media real good from the inside outwards to remove solution and dirt.
Set filter aside and allow to air dry for at least an hour.
While the filters drying take a clean rag and wipe out the inside of the air box on the truck, if you have "Electrical Contact Cleaner" this is a good time to give a light spray of it on the MAP sensor (just spray the sensor enough for the cleaner to drip off, dont wipe the sensor with a rag, if you feel you must wipe the sensor use a q-tip to gently clean it).
After the filter media has dried spray a light coat of K&N filter oil in uniform rows on the outside of the filter media coating the whole outside area of the media.
Set the filter aside again (preferably overnight) and allow the oil to soak into the filter media and excess oil to drain off the filter.
Replace filter in vehicle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts