GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am burning 2-3 qts of oil every 4000 miles. the oil chage service said i needed to get a performance service at 70000 miles. since i did not i am stuck burning oil. is this info on performance service correct and how can i remedy this oil burning problem. i can't believe at 100K miles i'm burning this much oil.

·
Super Moderator
3,369 Posts
are you sure you are burning it? It sounds like it would be leaking somewhere, at the rate that it's dissapearing. It may not be leaking to outside the motor, but perhaps somewhere in the motor. I'd check your other fluids for discolorations or indications that oil is leaking into them. Hope this helps.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
What type of engine, and where do you live?

That's a lot of oil to lose over 4,000 miles. I'd be surprised if you didn't see it smoke if you were losing that much. I would also check the fluid levels and put some cardboard under the beast at night after a day of running around to check for a drip as well. Do you live in a house (park in the same spot all the time) or an apartment/condo where you might park someplace different?

·
Super Moderator
6,542 Posts
Look around under the truck for leaks. That much oil would leave a smoke cloud very noticeable and foul the plugs out.
This wasnt caused by not getting the performance service done, if indeed your going through that much oil there's a very real problem in your engine.
Was the loss noticed all at once or have you been putting oil in during the 4000 mile period? If you noticed it all at once could the shop have shortchanged you on oil at the last service?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll check the other fluids. no leaks on the garage floor ( parked in the same spot all the time) and no smoke when running. thanks for your help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts