GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to keep myself calm. No need to get mad ! Okay. It"s just an old SUV.
Guy gave me $1000 cash and not report to insurance. I agreed since I have a $1000 deductible and gave him a break He was just a regular handyman trying to make a living. He was backing up his trailer when he hit my parked truck. I guess you are not even safe anymore even when parked. :cry:

I am looking at repair panels from A1 Auto and it looks like they have a passenger side lower rear quarter repair panel available for under $100.
Question to those doing auto body works.
  • I am trying to stay away from stitch welding, any other joining method out there that will hold up after painting?
  • I have a Lincoln 125 MIG welder with gas shielding if I have to spot weld.

Thank you.

This is the repair panel.

Repair panel.jpg

This is the damage.

Rear-ended1.jpg

Rear-ended3.jpg

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This minor repair will keep me busy.
Time to take out the rear bumper and fender trim and start drilling spot welds.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ordered replacement patch panel. Be here Wednesday.
Took out the bumper and fender flares/mud guard ( 1 hour labor) and will start drilling spot welds and cut out dented panel.
Screenshot_20210405-105506.png

Reactions: thegawd

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The two times I let someone give me cash not to call the cops I ended up getting screwed in the long run by damage that was not seen at first.
I took the risk seeing just the lower quarter panel damage.
Probably spend $300 in materials with no painting.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Been driving around with no bumper. LOL. Should get the patch panel tomorrow.
I think I like it. Might consider putting a roll pan when I'm done replacing the dented panel to get a clean look.

No Bumper 2.jpg

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update:

Patch panel arrived. $90 shipped.
Patch panel.jpg

Spot welds drilled out.
Spot welds drilled 1.jpg

Spot welds drilled 2.jpg

Cutting outline:

Cutting outline.jpg

Rain forecast for the next three days. So I wont cut and dry fit until next week.

Registered
Basically, you want to spot weld all of the welds. So, put a dot of weld, move over several inches, put another dot of weld, repeat, repeat, repeat untill you have a solid weld. If you try to run a bead of weld, it will warp the metal because of how thin the metal is. After you have a weld joint, then that can be grinded down smooth with a sanding pad.

Registered
The two times I let someone give me cash not to call the cops I ended up getting screwed in the long run by damage that was not seen at first.
I 100% agree with you. Don't move the vehicles if you can, call police, get him a ticket, let the insurance sort it out. Ignore all the whining. I got rear ended from a suburban. Small dent but wanted bumper or skin removed and new one on. He paid for it $1000 but there was an additional $100 he did not pay for.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, if you get into the same situation, just file a police report and let the insurance handle it.
It's a bad example. Haha.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Basically, you want to spot weld all of the welds. So, put a dot of weld, move over several inches, put another dot of weld, repeat, repeat, repeat untill you have a solid weld. If you try to run a bead of weld, it will warp the metal because of how thin the metal is. After you have a weld joint, then that can be grinded down smooth with a sanding pad.
Thanks @kennythewelder for the great instructions. I have not done MIG welding for a long time. I may need to practice on some scrap sheet metal. I'm just afraid I will burn a lot of holes. Hahaha.

Reactions: kennythewelder

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Panel dry fitted and ready for stitch welding
IMG_20210412_124016.jpg

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@kennythewelder, I borrowed my son's Lincoln 175 MIG welder with gas (Argon/CO2) shielding. It currently has 0.025" wire.
Will this wire work on gage 22 sheet metal? Machine has no chart to look at. Or do I need a 0.030" wire.
Thanks.

Registered
Smaller wire will take less heat so yea, that should be fine. We use 035 all the time at the shop. We weld simi thick (3/32) to very thick ( sometimes well over 1 inch thick). We also have a 115 Lincoln wire feed that we some times use. It has 025 wire in it and also has argon co mix gas. So yes, 025 is what you want. Follow what I said before. Make 1 dot, mover over several inches, make another dot of weld, repeat, repeat, repeat, ect. When you get all the way around, then put a dot of weld next to the very first dot. A second dot, next to the second dot ect. Work very slow. Let everything cool. Heat will warp the hell out of everything so keep it to a min. I like the way you made your seam follows a body line seam. This is the correct way to do a repair like that. Use scrap metal ( like the piece you removed) to get a feel of what your doing. Also the argon co mix is what you want. It makes a much better weld, and is easier to deal with. Oh, and clean shiny metal welds good. Dirty or even painted metal does not. Only weld through primer is ok.

Reactions: thegawd

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you.
What is a weld thru primer?
Does that mean I can sand to bare metal and apply primer on the inside surfaces I cannot paint? And still able to weld on the outside surfaces?

Registered
Thank you.
What is a weld thru primer?
Does that mean I can sand to bare metal and apply primer on the inside surfaces I cannot paint? And still able to weld on the outside surfaces?
Yes. That is what the weld through primer is made for. Here is one example.

Reactions: thegawd and bazar01

Registered
Keep in mind that primer is pouris, so even good primer needs a top coat of paint or some kind of sealer. I know that kind of goes against what I just said but any coating is better than none at all

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you Kenny.
I lined the butt joint just below the body line so I only have to paint below the body line and leave the top of quarter panel factory paint
This is the machine I'll be using.
It's a 240V Lincoln 175.
IMG_20210412_151229.jpg

Registered
Kenny, I appreciate your detailed response as well. I have a bunch of full body panels to replace on my sierra. sometime this summer, maybe. iv had them for over a year. haha they are really good, made in the us from a company off of ebay, I think I even had them in 2 days. I have a tiny arc welder but this really is the kind of work it was made to do. clean metal and patience. I can do that.

Al

1 - 20 of 35 Posts