GM Truck Club Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
‘01 Silverado 2500HD 8.1/Allison 5sp xcab long bed
3,863 Posts
He’s probably talking about the social climate right now.

·
Registered
2001 Suburban 5.3L, 296k miles
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Do the two of you even go-to sleep at all? Y'all killing me.

It will be in the 20s this Sunday. So highs will be mid 50s. I might get motivated to get started. Don't forget I do this outside in the driveway. My 2-car garage is full of junk.

Reactions: Cowboytrukr

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
1,469 Posts
He’s probably talking about the social climate right now.
Apparently he was talking about joining the Polar Bear Club. 🤷
Do the two of you even go-to sleep at all? Y'all killing me.
Came back from 2 weeks of vacation, so work is keeping me up late. Doesn't help I'd rather talk to you guys than do bid work. 😁

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Geez, start of 2021 and you're already burning vacation days?

Anyway, I called the dealer getting prices on oil pressure sensor and filter. Filter? What filter? No filter.
Shd get the op sensor next week. Will try that first.
I hate working from under. Oil pick up tube o-ring will be next.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Christmas and New Year's is our annual family hunting trip up around Jimmy Peanut's homeland. Those were last year's PTO days. But when you get 6 weeks a year and roll another week from the previous year, you gotta get them in when you can. :D

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Anyway, I called the dealer getting prices on oil pressure sensor and filter. Filter? What filter? No filter.
There have been a few conversations here about the filter screen under there not being in various service manuals or parts catalogs. Not surprised no one knows what it is...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Maybe I am missing something here. Is 40 psig considered low oil pressure? That value is the center of my gauge. Before I replaced my engine (372 K mi), idle pressure was around 20 psig, driving was just below 40 psig, and just above 40 psig at high rev. The corresponding new engine pressures are 40-, 40 and 40+.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Cap'n, I'm not worried yet on the 40psi cold start oil pressure at idle that's why I'm not in a hurry. It's good oil pressure. I'm just used to seeing 58psi on cold starts at idle. Once it's warmed up, oil pressure gets up to 58 psi at 2k rpm and 40 psi at idle. It just started when weather got colder.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Shd get the op sensor next week. Will try that first.
I hate working from under. Oil pick up tube o-ring will be next.
When I replaced my sensor I had to pull the intake manifold. I tried with it in place but there was no way my hands and arms were gonna get in there and get it done.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Tell you the truth, I looked behind the diverside fuel rail this morning and tried to feel the sensor connector. I was able to pull the connector out and plugged it back in. So I think I can do it just by removing the top plastic cover and a long extension on a universal swivel deep socket.
I really hope it was just a lazy sensor when cold.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I hope so too Ray, but I will know once I get the new OP sensor.

Reactions: RayVoy

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
New cheap non GM op sensor came in last Friday. Tried to remove old one this weekend. Old sensor plastic top broke off. Glad I got the bottom part out. I was basically laying on my belly and hugging the intake plenum and used both hands between firewall and intake to feel and unclip the connector. (Short hands :mad:)
Now, the oil pressure is even lower when cold. Grrrr ! 28 psi cold. 42 psi warmed up revved to 2000rpm.
Engine is still quiet while running in idle.
I'll get a Delco sensor this time from the stealership and see what happens before I think about the oil pan removal.
I'll just park it until I can get this sorted.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
Can't get my mind off the oil pressure situation on my 2001 Suburban.
I decided to hook up a mechanical pressure gauge to the oil cooler pressure tap above the oil filter. Two 10mm bolts and it came off. It is already prepped to accept a 1/8" npt threaded hole. I just ran a 1/8" npt pipe tap, drilled a 1/8" hole and put a male to female elbow brass fitting and hooked up my 0-120 psi gauge.
The mechanical gauge reads 35 psi cold and goes up to 45 psi at 2k rpm with engine cold.
The instrument gauge reads 25 psi and 30 psi at 2k rpm with engine cold. New non-GM oil pressure sensor is out of calibration.

I think the oil pressure is still ok to drive.

I will plan on dropping the oil pan, replace gasket and oil pick up tube o-ring maybe next month.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Video of the gauge in operation.

·
Registered
16,440 Posts
@bazar01 I think your over thinking this, you've already identified that the dash gauge does not display the correct pressure, why would you still be talking about the pan gasket and the pickup O ring?

The dash gauge does not read the oil pressure. The dash gauge is part of an electrical circuit, the sender, the PCM and the gauge are all part of the circuit.
One, or all could be out of alignment.
As I have said, and as Bob said, 40 is the 12 o'clock position on the gauge, as long as the needle is near the 40 position, you have good pressure (even with the system needing alignment).
I suspect the 58psi your looking for was never the true pressure, it was probably a product of whatever is causing the mis-alignment in the dash unit.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Ray, I have owned this 2001 since new and I know what the oil pressure on a cold and warm engine, at idle and 2k rpm. The instrument gauge always show 58 psi cold at idle and drops to 40 psi at idle when warmed up and 58 psi at 2k rpm.

I also know that right now with the mechanical pressure gauge when first started cold at 35 psi idle and 45 psi at 2k rpm is good oil pressure. I can drive it with no worries even when the instrument is way off by 10 psi.

I am talking about the pan gasket and o-ring replacement because I have a bad oil pan leak at the oil filter inlet and outlet area in the block as you can see in the attached pic, I don't mind replacing the pan gasket and do the oil pick up o-ring. It may or may not raise the oil pressure but it's all good.

I guess the weather is getting nicer and I have so much time on my hands with no camping schedule in the next few months. LOL.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts