GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2001 Chevrolet Suburban ¾ 4x4with about 88,000 miles on it's 8.1 L engine it. About a week ago, Iwas driving down the road and it just shut off! No power! No powersteering, no power brakes, no engine! Thank goodness I was not on abusy highway! A day later, it happened again! Fortunately, I was,again, not a busy road. I looked up the problem on the internet andsuspected that it was the crankshaft position sensor. I also foundout that there is a recall for 2001 Suburbans for this very part! Itook it to the dealer and when they put in my VIN number, amazingly,my truck did not qualify for a free fix! I have to PAY $450 to fixthis part that is obviously a problem! This part goes bad and youcan DIE! And you never know when it will start going bad! WHEN willit shut down the first time? It's like Russian Roulette! We own 3Chevys and will NEVER buy another one! I hope it was worth the $450they made to lose a customer for life!

Note: If yours is not covered also,please call the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration at1-888-327-4236 and filed a complaint and they MIGHT include more VINnumbers.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[h=2]ChevroletSuburban Recalls[/h] Suburban ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING Recall – ID# 48094

Recall Date
NOV 07, 2007
Model Affected
2001 CHEVROLET SUBURBAN
Description
ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITH AN 8.1L V8 ENGINE, THE CRANKSHAFT POSITION CAN OPERATE INTERMITTENTLY OR FAIL COMPLETELY. IF THE SENSOR OPERATES INTERMITTENTLY, THE SES LIGHT MAY ILLUMINATE AND THE VEHICLE MAY RUN ROUGH. THE ENGINE MAY STALL, AND IF SO, MAY RE-START IMMEDIATELY OR AFTER A COOL DOWN PERIOD.
Consequence
IF THE SENSOR BECOMES COMPLETELY INOPERATIVE, THE ENGINE WILL QUIT RUNNING AND WILL NOT RE-START. EITHER OF THESE FAILURES CAN INCREASE THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Remedy
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON DECEMBER 18, 2007. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHEVROLET AT [FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1-800-630-2438 [/FONT]AND GMC AT [FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1-866-996-9463[/FONT].
Potential Units Affected
Notes
GENERAL MOTORS CORP. 06083

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Check with GM customer Service.
A lot of time-on something like this- if you politely bug them-they will eventually come thru for you and pay for the part.
Be polite etc- "catch more flies with honey than vinegar "
There is a GM customer service rep that drops in here from time to time- maybe you can do a search for her.
I would only post this once-might annoy folks otherwise.
Luck
Charlie
PS 10 YEARS OF LIFE is not too bad- but suddenly failing and leaving you on the side of the road would be pretty annoying- but best to restrain yourself.

·
Super Moderator
3,377 Posts
Or, you could spend around $60 and likely around 30 minutes and replace the crank position sensor if you want. The sensor should be around the front timing cover on the front of the engine. 1 bolt, pull the old one out, drop the new one in, and life is good again. Here's a link to the part at Autozone:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Crankshaft-Position-Sensor/2001-Chevrolet-Suburban-2500-4WD/_/N-jg002Z8znbj?counter=0&filterByKeyWord=crankshaft&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=384820_0_0_

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
X2 what Crawdaddy said, just change it yourself.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Is replacing the position sensor as simple on the 5.7 vortec? I do seem to see it mentioned here fairly often.Of course some of our trucks are pretty old- bet the average truck here is 10 yo or so-and many are on the far side of 125,000 miles.
Thanks
Charlie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts