GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 2500hd 4x4 with the 6.0, It has a 6in lift with 35in tires. I changed the passenger side rear wheel bearing twice in the past 6 months. I replaced both inner and outer bearings and the seal each time. After a couple weeks of driving it starts to leak rear end fluid and the bearing goes bad shortly after. Once it starts to leak i keep the rear end full of fluid. I could be installing the bearings or seal wrong but i wanted to check to see if anyone has had a problem with them wearing out really quick. I dont know if it could be the carrier or if im doing it wrong. any info would help thanks.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
You may have a worn or bent axle. I had a simular problem with my lifted 'Burb and it was a worn axle. If I remmember it had about 110,000 miles on it. These big tires DO wear out parts sooner.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok that makes sense, is there any way to tell if the axel is to worn? Im going to change it agian tomorow so i will take my time and give everything a good look over before puting it back together

·
Registered
184 Posts
You should be able to feel the axle where the seal runs and if it has a groove it is worn, I have also seen seals put in wrong or when sliding the axle in the seal gets damaged. Also check for burrs or rough spots as that can also cause problems.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
changed the wheel bearings and seal today and i think i found the problem. I had a old timer mechanic tell me to check to see if my diff vent line was cloged. i cleaned the line and blew it out. I will be keeping a eye on it and ill let you know if she holds up. thanks again for the help

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
still dident fix the problem, everything was installed corectly and the seal is leaking allready. i am looking to get a ready seal to put on it, but i was wondering if anyone had any other sugestions

1 - 6 of 6 Posts