GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody.
2002 Chevy Silverado extended cab 4x4 5.3 auto 176,xxx miles

This is my father in law's truck and I am trying to help out.

He filled truck up on monday. Two days later while stopped at light, truck dies. Starts back up to move off road then dies again. Gets it towed home.

hour later, starts truck up runs for 45 seconds then dies. leaves truck for me.

Friday I look at truck. Starts right up and a minute later it begins to sputter then dies, like its not getting fuel.

Still had original fuel filter on truck:surprised: so I replaced it. still runs for less then a minute then dies.

SES light is not on, nor are there any codes set in computer.

checked fuel pressure, reads 20 psi. where manual says 55-62 psi.

I know when you turn ignition key on, fuel pump kicks on and its suppose to sound like a low buzzing or humming. his fuel pump sounds like rocks in a can.

also when key is shut off something under the hood makes an awful noise for a couple of seconds.

Sounds like its the fuel pump to me but before I drain the tank and get the $300 pump I would like a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc; opinion on this. Or if I am even going in the right direction.

thanks

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Fuel pump. Drop the tank and git 'er done.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you.
It would figure that its a lovely 30 degrees out side

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
replaced fuel pump. starts and runs. and stays running. yippie!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Fuel pump. You should have full 50+ psi fuel pressure for the first few seconds of just turning the key to the on position and not starting the truck. Even then it should hold the pressure. If you dont have good fuel pressure in the run position or it bleeds off quickly then you have a crap f/p.

OH and :sign0016:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts