GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
10 amp fuse for the cooling fan keeps "popping", secondary fuse ok code 1482b per Firestone shop Suggestions?73,000 miles

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I couldn't find any info on the code you mentioned. DTC codes usually have a "P" proceeding them. A P1480 and P1481 are related to the fan, so it looks like your code may be a P1482, but I still didn't locate any info on it. The first place to start is the fan. What kind of condition is it in? Does it bind, or is there any play in the shaft? Not a difficult job to replace the fan, but the factory fans are expensive.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
fan

Try your local parts stores for aftermarket fans, about half the cost of GM fans.

They don't last forever, sometimes I think I like the older stile fans, without the clutch. Nothing to wear out except the belts.

My Fiero has a new electric fan, I think it was under $50 at our local VIP.

A volt/om meter can also help in diagnosing the fan.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I couldn't find any info on the code you mentioned. DTC codes usually have a "P" proceeding them. A P1480 and P1481 are related to the fan, so it looks like your code may be a P1482, but I still didn't locate any info on it. The first place to start is the fan. What kind of condition is it in? Does it bind, or is there any play in the shaft? Not a difficult job to replace the fan, but the factory fans are expensive.
I found just about the same thing, other than some kind of fan shroud issue. Shroud touching fan blades. :yikes: Sorry I couldn't help more.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Txs for the reply! Manual says this is a clutch driven cooling fan.Fan appears ok.There is a dual 4 wire connector attached to the cooling fan shroud.If I disconnect one side,the 10amp fuse is ok.As soon as I connect together,the 10 amp fuse pops.It's almost as if there is a bad ground.I have been told that the cooling fan ties into the power steering system and a HUGE repair bill awaits me.Thanks again for your time!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts