GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Tahoe LT (everything factory right now) and I want to add a cold-air induction kit OR just a K&N filter.

I read from another forum that "GM recommends against filters like K&N as they tend to "coke" the MAF during the cleaning (burn-off) cycle."

What do you guys think and is there anything else i need to look out for when installing a cold-air induction kit/K&N (e.g. does this do anything funky to the O-2 Sensors?)

**Thank you!!!**

·
Registered
7 Posts
I put a AEM Brute Force cold air intake kit on my 02 Tahoe LT with the 5.3. I had it on now about a year with no problems what so ever.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm intrested in installing a cold air intake on my '96 2500 burb also. I'm no gear-head, is this a project I can do myself? Also, which brands have you guys seen the best resluts with?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a K&N in my 06 Yukon and no problems. I have used a K&N in my Grand Prix GTP for about 80,000 miles and have no problems. I have also used a K&N in my 01 Saturn SC2 for 225,000 miles and have not had a problem. The problems are usually caused by over oiling the filters after cleaning. Just make sure the filter is coated evenly but not dripping with oil. Only use the special K&N spray filter oil.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My last three vehicles ('00 Grand Cherokee, '02 Expedition, and '01 Tahoe) I put on Flowmaster 3" catback's and K&N FIPK's and have never had any problems or issues. Just be sure that with any wet type filters to not over-oil as the MAF is usually not too far from the filter. As to a better brand I really couldn't speak to that as I've only used K&N's since I never had any problems with them why try an unknown. As far as installing them not much to it and took me less than an hour each time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Cold air intake

I have a 03 Tahoe LT with 109MI on it and I’ve had the cold air intake on for 5 months without any problems. My two previous vehicles had those as well for years and no problems. I have to say you just have to use caution when you wash it not to over spray it with oil. I think it’s worth it you will enjoy the sound it makes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts