GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Battery has been draining lately... Noticed when I shut off the truck, battery light and highbeam indicator lights on cluster are still lit, but very dim. This is with the key out and everything. Those lights are also dim when the truck is running, but function as they should, as in, light gets bright when high beams are turned on, etc. I've tried parasitic draw test and checked fuses, figured it would be the cluster fuse, but didn't find anything. Someone have any suggestions?

I might send it off to get rebuilt..

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,498 Posts
Hard to tell anything from your picture,
In my experience, whenever a bulb is at low illunination, it is being used to seek a ground. One of the other circuits is missing a ground and the circuit is finding a ground source by going through the light bulb to its ground.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there a ground list out there for all the locations?

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
2003/4 GM trucks 110% dash panel was rebuilt on all these trucks use a amp meter to see if what circuit causes the draw .. put a fuse out then see if the current drops .. current should be below 150 ma ..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I pulled this cluster out and there are no signs of it being rebuilt.

I've tried using my amp meter, but im reading 0 on my multimeter. Taking the ground cable off and setting it to 10amps and hooking the cables up, one to ground on battery other to the cable terminal.

Am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
connect the meter probe to battery ground post then the removed battery ground cable to the other amp meter .. probe .. if no current on the meter indicator turn head lights on .. or open the door see if the meter will show current .. meter could have a fuse in it to protect the meter for the current measurement ..
I use a amp clamp probe .. do not remove cables put the clamp around the positive cable then set up the meter slowly down to the Mill volt DC range ..
battery drain is less than 150MA common ... if its 500MA and higher will cause battery drain.
dash panel look up your model year truck on why the dash panel has GM defects...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You were right, it was the fuse in my meter.

I read 2.3 amps when i first checked it, pulled the icp/dic fuse and it went to 1.9 amps. I kept the fuse out for about 10 seconds then my meter went to 0 amps.

I wanted to make sure it wasn't me again, so I kept the fuse out, it read 1.9 amps then started to go down again after about 10 seconds to 0amps (0.002amps).

I then put fuse back in, checked meter, read 2.3amps and then I waited, it read .286 amps (might be off a little). So that icp/dic fuse is my problem, correct?

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
I looked it up on your battery drain and the head light dash panel IPC bulb on with key out ..
the dash panel has to be repaired ..
probably $120 to repair it ..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Forgot to post a picture.

Have you installed anything after market like a stereo or back camera? or anything that is wired into the fuse box to a circuit that should only pull power when the engine is running like window wipers or the reverse light fuse/circuit? Sounds like a low voltage feed back to the system. If so disconnect that wire and use the power line designated for the stereo and put in a switch on for the backup camera. I had the same thing happen when trying to install a rear camera that came with a new double din stereo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts