GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 03 Tahoe with 75K on it and when I turn right (parking lot type speed only), its harder to turn than with no power steering and it makes a serious whine sound. Fluid is fine, clear and full. Turning left is smooth as a baby's bottom.

I've been told its the steering gear that needs replacing. However, when I look under the truck's front end and I see red colored fluid sparingly on the steering lines (even though the fluid is full). Its not tranny fluid, or engine oil, and it only exists on teh steering lines and surrounding areas. And the fluid doesn't appear to be leaking from the steering pump either.

My question is this: If the problem is with the steering gear, would it cause the steering fluid to leak from somewhere other than the gear itself?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jaye
([email protected])

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Leaks are messengers that can't be ignored

A steering gear doesn't have to be leaking to cause trouble. Your leaks are probably not related, but leaks cannot be ignored. My mechanic's favorite line about leaks is: "What you have is a hand grenade, and the pin has been pulled. Fix it now, or drive it till it goes BOOM." Sounds like you will have to replace the steering gear, and if you haven't replaced the pressure and return hose, this would be a good time to do that too.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts