GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have a 2004 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 with the 6.0 that I recently picked up. I use it for towing a car hauler occasionally in addition to being a daily-driver. On our first trip towing a loaded trailer, approx 6500lbs., when we would crest a hill on the freeway and I would let the truck coast down the hill to use engine braking, there would be a horrific screeching should from the transmission/ torque converter. The engine RPM's would drop to idle, as if shifted into Neutral, as well. The only way to stop this from happening would be to gently press on the gas and the RPM's would come back up, the screeching sound would stop and I could continue on.

Through some more experimenting, I have found that it only does this at higher, freeway speeds, even unloaded, anytime the torque converter is locked up.

It has done this since it was purchased a few months ago. About a month ago, I installed a new Delco filter and replaced the lost fluid from the filter change. There was no debris or jiblets in the pan, only some fine mud on the pan magnet. While towing, the hottest the transmission has ever shown on the gauge is ~185*, or one line below 200*.

It seems as though it has something to do with the torque converter once it is locked up on the freeway. I can't seem to find any similar examples on any of the forums. Does anyone here have any idea as to what this could be?

Thanks!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts