GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 Suburban Z71 4 X 4, I have recently had all of the stepper motors replaced on my cluster, they all work fine now, except my oil pressure gauge. It jumps all over and chimes all of the time. My oil pressure has been checked and it is fine. We recently replace the sending unit to stop the oil pressure chime, but this did not fix the problem. Any one know what could be causing this annoying sound?

·
Registered
727 Posts
The clusters on those truck go bad all the time if i remember correctly...maybe buy a new one or find one that works for sure and get it reprogrammed to your truck for miles,etc.

·
Registered
727 Posts
But maybe that one got messed up while installing them?

·
Registered
727 Posts
That im not sure on...just an idea

·
Super Moderator
3,374 Posts
The cause of the chime has nothing to do with the cluster. The computer is detecting that the oil pressure is low, either by the pressure actually being low, the sensor being bad, or the wiring between the sensor and computer having a short somewhere. The sensor changes resistance based on the pressure, and so a short to the body caused by chafed wiring or an open due to a bad connection can cause the computer to think the pressure isn't what it should be. The gauge cluster gets its info from the computer, and the computer controls the radio to chime.

So, check the wiring from the sensor to the computer looking for chafed wiring, bad or loose connections, or possibly even a bad engine ground(though this would also make other gauges go haywire with the oil pressure)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wondering if anyone figured out why the oil pressure light and gauge is reading 0 and the engine is non stop dinging and blinking in the 04 Chevy Suburban I own I had the oil pressure sending unit replace, I've checked the oil it is is true and correct, I've checked the oil pan, oil filter. I'm not understanding what else it can be please help...!?!?! Because I am a woman I really do not want to waste any more money on a mechanic who will take advantage of the situation....

·
Registered
13,647 Posts
Hey, do you recall if the actual oil pressure was check with an oil pressure test gauge?

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
It sounds like burned or open wiring to the OP sender. Or maybe a corroded connector. Is the engine making any noises?

Ted

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you for answering me. However yes the tested the pressures and but surprisingly past. I'm at a loss I can't seem to find ANYONE WHO KNOWS HOW TO FIX MY RRUCK.... I DON'TWANT TO WAIST AND MORE $$$.....
PLEASE HELP?!?!?!

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
You said you hear it tapping when the oil pressure drops to zero. Do you mean that it sometimes reads normal?

Ted

·
Registered
13,647 Posts
If the engine is making noises when the gauge reads zero; that, to me, is not normal oil pressure.
I would say the gauge and the light are accurately reporting engine pressure.

Are you using the correct (per owners manual) oil weight?

And, do you have the correct amount of oil in the pan?

·
Registered
5 Posts
The truck was acting completely normal however when it would drop to zero oil pressure and the alarm dinging I did not have a tapping noise right away however when I would start the truck three or four different times after checking the oil it started to make a tapping noise but when I drove it down the road the gauge read 32 psi size and the noise went away however it was only temporary as soon as I stopped at a red light a few minutes later the gauge drop down to 0 psi the alarm sounded again therefore I shut the truck off and had it towed

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Assuming that this is when engine is warmed up, based on what I see here it sounds like you have ) oil pressure at idle but 32 PSI when rpms are up. Oil pressure varies greatly with rpms. Correct? How is the oil pressure when cold at idle? Have you changed the oil and filter lately. Sometimes a defective filter can cause this too.
Another possibility could be that the oil pickup tube O ring is cracked/failed and the oil pump is cavitating and getting air in it at idle.

How many miles on this engine and what size is it?

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
It's hard to get her actual symptoms. First it was just 0 OP. Now it's just at idle. If it's a 5.3 I agree it's probably the O ring.

But we don't know oil change history, either.

Ted

·
Registered
13,647 Posts
It's hard to get her actual symptoms. First it was just 0 OP. Now it's just at idle. If it's a 5.3 I agree it's probably the O ring.

But we don't know oil change history, either.

Ted
Very hard, like the guy yesterday who got mad that I was asking questions.

Problems can be solved if trouble shooting questions are answered in short brief focused sentences.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hate to state the obvious, but (as I just learned myself) there's a small filter under the oil pressure sensor. If it's obstructed the readings go nuts.... It is THE most common cause of OP reading errors on these engines.

·
Registered
13,647 Posts
Not sure that filter is all that obvious; but your right, it can give you crazy pressure readings

1 - 20 of 23 Posts