GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this issue for over a year now, I'll try to make the description short.

2004 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 V8

the Check Engine light stays on constantly, cannot be reset because it will not even communicate with scanners (not even the DMV scanner, so I could't get a waiver for my inspection sticker since it couldn't pickup anything when they hooked it up to get a code)

*The cigarette lighter fuse constantly blows (it blows any size fuse) - if that indicates anything (crossed wire, grounded wire somewhere?)

I messed up the wiring last year when attempting to repair the non-working aux outlet (not the cigarette lighter) and crossed some wires or something.. who knows.

If anyone has a WIRING SCHEMATIC or a basic guideline that I could follow to re-wire this thing it'd be great.
.. and very much appreciated!

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
disconnect the wiring you worked with this on these power sockets. also look for any wiring damage caused by the steel cutting into the wires..

then try putting a fuse back in. if the fuse does not blow then you can get codes and end those other issues.

disconnect the battery FIRST>>..

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
j cat, thanks for the reply.
I'm going to see if there's any visible damage to the wires running to the outlet I wired up.

Does anyone have a OEM schematic of what color wires go to what, and so on?

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
THE wire color used is typically set to certain circuits. so if you connected a blue to an orange this may cause the problem. since this fuse blows and power is always on these sockets you could also have bad socket ...so remove these and see if the fuse stays good...

a wiring diagram would be good but you altered the wiring so I would undo what you did...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts