GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like this all the time, hoping for any insight where to begin my search. Anyone familiar with this condition? Is the issue located in the mirror itself and if so is it repairable?

If not where should I be looking?

Thanks for any direction.

·
Registered
444 Posts
How long has it been this way? Have you tried disconnecting the battery over night then reconnecting to see if it’d reset?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I posted a topic on how to fix the compass and temperature display a few.years back on my 2001 suburban. The display was intermittent. I think I pulled the mirror and resoldered the cracked and loose solder joints. Try the search option.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How long has it been this way? Have you tried disconnecting the battery over night then reconnecting to see if it’d reset?
Since I purchased it, the dash needed the steppers motors replaced so figured I'd go through the little remaining things once I got started. The batter has been disconnected more than once, made no difference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I posted a topic on how to fix the compass and temperature display a few.years back on my 2001 suburban. The display was intermittent. I think I pulled the mirror and resoldered the cracked and loose solder joints. Try the search option.
I've read through a few, in those cases as you mentioned the display was intermittent. In my case the display never goes off unless I intentionally turn it off, otherwise it stays lit constantly. The buttons seem to work as expected, it allows me to set the temp F or C, the zone and I can also put it into CAL mode, it just appears that when not doing anything in specific it defaults to lighting all segments in the display.

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
678 Posts
I would guess there is something fried inside on the chip in the mirror. Since you are saying it's working when poking around, the functional display (normal operations) circuit probably has a short to the display across where it sends signal to the various areas of the display. Either a bad solder joint or a blown out transistor...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see mirrors listed on ebay, if its more likely the mirror itself rather than something driving it that would probably be the quickest way to narrow it down and get it working. I doubt individual components are easy come to by at this point and not really setup for surface mount soldering so sounds like that's the way to go. Figured I'd ask otherwise it would have been something completely in the opposite direction ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts