GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just traded in my 2000 GMC Jimmy for a 2005 Chevy Trailbazer. I must say it is a far better vehicle than the Jimmy ever was. The ride is awesome. My only complaint is how gutless it is off the line. Once rolling it cruises along fine, but the 275 ft.lbs. of torque feels like 175. From a stop it is slower than death, once you get the engine above 3500 rpm then it kicks in. I got beaten off the line by gramma in her Neon repeatedly the other day. I havent hooked my snowmobile trailer with 2 sleds on it up to the Trailblazer yet, i hate to see how long it takes me to get moving with 3500 lbs. in tow. I must say that I am very dissapointed with the "supposed" power of this motor. Yes, it is whisper quiet, which I am not too fond of, and it is super smooth, I like that. I just wish it had some go when you hit the throttle. The TB came with the 3:42 gears, which I suspect may have something to do with the bottom end issue, But with all the torque it supposed to have that shouldnt be a big issue. I tried out a TB with 3:73's and didn't notice a big difference. Any suggestions????

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Hmm. I don't have that experience that you have in my TB. I think it's plenty gutsy for it's size with more than enough power to hit it off the line. It's not enough to squeel the tires or anything, but I can punch it off the line to get ahead of people to do a fast lane change, or get up to freeway speed from a stop with very little time.

What type of configuration do you have? The gears do make a difference off the line, that's for sure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I too am a newbie to the truck. Just purchased a Used 04 and so far very nice.

I just wanted to confirm that I too feel similar to MXZ600, that the engine is dead from idle. I noticed this the first day.

Now it is not a slouch in my opinion as it will rev up there quickly and go pretty good, but I agree right at the start it almost seems if there is a hesitation.

Also I have not tried to spin a tire but at 275 hp and torque it should spin the tire, or at least get a chirp out of it.

Brad

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Brad, what type of gears do you have on it? Any idea?

·
Registered
11 Posts
3:42

I am not saying it is dead dead, just seems if there is the slightest pause, not exactly sure how to explain, but I just saying I felt the same MXZ600.

Hey Not complaining either as it still goes pretty good.

This weekend I will pull my trailor see how well it works.

Brad

·
Registered
269 Posts
Well, one of the problems (I say "problems") ... one of the ways that the engineers have designed engines to work these days is to govern fuel injection and especially to help eliminate things like Jackrabbit starts that spend more fuel than most other normal engine operations. Maybe there is something governing the starts.

Maybe someone should do a poll. "What do you think about the off-the-line power in the TB.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My TB has the 3:42 gears, but the one I test drove (flogged) had 3:73"s, same outcome ,dead off the line. I like the idea of a poll of the readers. I am beginning to think I'm not alone with the less than satisfied feeling when I stab the throttle. I wonder if Chevy lover is on to something with the governed start idea. Maybe GM had to tame things down so soccer moms did't spill their kids' juice boxes when they took off to the mall.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I'll do a poll!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Guys... GM puts sooo much torque management into our vehicles, so we wont damage anything on them. Personally, I want a Westers tune to severly reduce the management, which should make it so I can squeal a tire or two.

Erik
02 TB LT 4X4 3.73gears

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you kidding me? What can I do to disable this interference that the computer is giving ? I know that this is a throttle by wire system, no cables here. It seems like the computer tries to interpret the input from the gas pedal to what it thinks I want not what I really want. I am really beginning to hate this vehicle, I have only had it for 3 weeks. I almost caused an accident yesterday because when I went to pass a car, my revs were only at 3000 rpm and the engine doesnt wake up until 5000 rpm , so when I got in the passing lane I had far less power than what I expected when I mashed thoe go pedal. This torque/power management is totally unacceptable. If I cant figure out a way around it, or a way to reprogram the computer, this thing is going back to the dealership! I dont mind the computer management of the engine, but a governor is rediculous. I want the power I paid $32,000 for.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Tb is a great little, well something. It isn't the "mom's car", at least not out here. If you every drive by a preschool or an elemen. school, it is just lines and lines of surburbans and suv of such. Mini van doesn't exists anymore out here.

But I will have to agree, off the line....no, it sucks. Plus, if you want to pass off the line I learned that you almost have to floor it and then you sound like an ass when trying to pass. (well, I do since i have an exhaust system on mine) I have issues going from a V8 Silverado and now driving a stright 6 TB :cry:

I suggest MXZ600 just let it grow on you. It is a good little thingamig. Try doing small things to the TB. I know you don't hate it, but maybe the downfalls will grow on you. Try Truck Performance they sell some great stuff. I just bought a K&N air intake.

As for me, I need to be kept away from my TB, I am getting ready to take tools to it and cut the springs. The stupid thing just won't drop to the height I want it at.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've also noticed the sluggishness off the line. I miss the ready torque my old Blazer had. That being said, above 3500 rpm the 4.2 really comes alive and proves itself far superior to the 4.3 in the Blazer. Back to the off-the-line performance...I don't do this often but once at a stoplight I just floored the thing and was surprised how gently it started out. It was as if I'd given it 25% throttle, not 100%. But as normal it really got going above 3500. Btw, I have the 3.73 gears. I've just learned to be quick with the gas pedal when I need to be. If I need to pass someone I find that a very quick stab will wake up the engine and get things going!

Anyway, I too wish GM hadn't been so aggressive with the torque management. The Westers tune sounds promising, but if you reduce the tq management too far you'll put much more stress on the drivetrain. I'm torn as to what to do. :?

·
Registered
7 Posts
2005 4.2 L 275hp,275 ft.lb ????????

Has anyone tried changing out the torque converter to one that has more gains in the lower RPM's?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I dont know of anyone that has, to get more HP and TQ throughout the power band, get a Westers tune. They will fix this problem, and your TB will feel much more lively. Now, all I have to do is save the $500 it costs to get one!

P.S. Check www.westersgarage.net for more info, specs, and options.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I think that the engine does just fine for what type of vehicle it's in. Helps to get better fuel econ too and I'm all up on that right now with the cost of gas.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am a new owner of 02 TB. Just picked it up on tuesday. Has 85000 miles on it. Going from a supercharged Regal GS with the 3800 to this 4.2 is a little different game but so far i'm alright with the power. Yes off the line it does seem a little doggy but not to bad. seems like once you get going it goes good though. I know it's not the same as the car, and if it gets me some decent mileage for the size of the veicle i'll be happy. Love the way it handles and drives.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Get a tuned PCM from PCMforless.com and have them remove the torque management program. Their tune runs around $139.00. Best thing you can do for your Trailblazer as far as performance.

Fireman

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Great Chevy Trailblazer thread, this is epic and needs to not die down!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts