GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2005 Equinox LT AWD and I am only getting 13 MPG. I have read up on some of the aftermarket mods to improve this and found a "chip" that will increase it to what they "guarantee" will be an extra 10 MPG. Only problem is that I cannot find where the ECM(computer) is on my car. Anybody happen to know anything about the location of the ECM? And any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Yeah, I'd be sceptical of a chip that can give you an extra 10 MPG. If it could do that, the factory would be shipping with them becuase fuel cost is one of the top-five factors when looking for a new vehicle.

Before you do that, first ask yourself a few questions.

How are you driving? Stop and go traffic? All vehicles, even a Prius, will get poor mileage if driven mostly in rush hour 10 mph traffic.

Do you have a lead-foot, that will decrease mileage pretty dramatically as well. Do you haul a lot of cargo? etc. There may be ways to increase your MPG w/o a mod like this.

Now, tuning on the other hand might be an option.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have only had this car for about 2 weeks now and have not had much to haul around in it. I have mostly driven it to work and and back home(10 miles round trip) with a few 25 to 35 mile runs. I always obey the speed limit(cops around here are pr**ks). The "chip" says it will increase the HP and torque ratings as well by about 20 HP and the same for the torque. I am in desperate need of some info to get better mileage.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I've never heard of anything offering those kind of gains except for 20 bucks on ebay..Stay away. My mileage is horrible on my sierra 11.6 MPG. I'll be ordering a Hypertech Max Energy Programmer today because it comes with a 30 day money back guarantee. I'm looking for mileage increase of around 2 mpg. Because over the life of the vehicle I'll save thousands. A new intake would help out in the mpg area and you can find them on ebay for 200-250.
Your mileage will increase and the engine gets broken in. So I'd say hold off for a couple months. I'll be writing a reveiw of the hypertech to see how it works. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
First you don’t say what engine you have.
Second you say you are only driving a few miles a day. From the sounds the engine hasn’t even warmed up.
Third it’s all wheel drive, inherently bad mileage wise.

Not trying to put you down but in order to check your mileage you really need to do a trip. 100 miles or more, in one shot to get a true mileage.

From what you have said you are getting the city driving mileage. That would be on the low end as far as mileage goes.

It’s 3 years old the engine should be broke in that should not be in the equation. You don’t give a mileage of the vehicle, just how many miles are on the truck?

One suggestion I give anyone who wants better mileage is to drive like you have a rotten egg on the gas pedal. Sloooooooow easy starts and deceleration.

·
Registered
296 Posts
It appears to have the same engine as our Venture van the 3.4 liter. Ours doesnt get the 18mpg in town like the sticker states. we are getting more like 14.5 mpg but I figure because of the winter fuel and cold weather it is normal. I looked up the 2005 equinox and it is suppose to get 17/23 mpg and that was for front wheel or four wheel drives. Has the engine been tuned up and a new air filter?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The car has 43,380 miles on it, it has a new air filter, oil to be changed this weekend, more maint. as needed. I do drive it mainly in town but I also drive to Champaign, IL at least twice a week(70 miles round trip) and figured the mileage would be a bit better. I found the original window sticker and it says it should get 19 MPG and before you say it I know that is an outdated "estimate" but I figured that it would only be about 3 or 4 MPG difference.lol I still would like to try the "chip" even if it doesn't get what they say it will even a 2 to 4 MPG difference would help, besides it only cost $14. Compared to a $300 programmer that I cannot afford right now I figure it is worth a shot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts