GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this information is already in the forum some where, but I can't seem to find it. It's an odd problem and hard to find the right keywords. Hopefully there is a fix for it. My dear old 97 suburban finally got to far gone to keep fixing so I got a 06. It's pretty ok, but it's missing a TON of things that i'm use to having on a suburban(the 1st vehicle i drove was a 79 suburban). Most of the issues would not be an issue if i just used the key fob. I guess they are gearing everything to key fobs these day. The suburban is my 2nd vehicle so i want to keep ONLY the key on my main key ring(aka i don't want to have to carry two fobs around). The truck has only ONE key hole in the entire thing?!??!?!?! kind of maddening.

No here's the actual issue. After using the key to open the truck from the driver door, walking all the way to what every door i'm actually trying to get into, then going back to the driver door to lock the truck up(back doors and rear doors have no lock buttons), the door lock buttons won't work unless i put the key back in the ignition. Then the buttons will work for about 30 seconds. Is there any way to turn on "just let the buttons always work" mode or something? I'm think it's a security feature of some kind, but that's not something i need.

Thanks.

·
Registered
361 Posts
My 06 Suburban allows me to change the door lock preferences from the buttons on the steering wheel. I can’t remember which button it was but the digital display above the steering column and below the speedometer shows the settings and you can choose how the locks work with one of the other steering wheel buttons.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just tried setting unlock doors to manual and it does the same thing. I think that has to do with when you stop the car how it unlocks. I dont see any other options that seem to be for what i am looking for

·
Registered
361 Posts
I set mine to lock when in drive and unlock when in park. I’ve always used a fob to lock and unlock the truck so I’ve never experienced what you’re going through. Does the fob work properly?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Wait. I’ve certainly locked and unlocked the truck though without the key in the ignition. Like when washing or vacuuming it and such. Weird that yours is doing that.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Have you tried disconnecting the battery for a while then reconnecting it to see if it’d reset anything?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes the fob works just fine, just don't want carry 2 around and don't want to set one fob to open 2 cars. The lock and unlock will work for about 30 seconds after key removal or some other such events. As with most gm trucks I've own, after a few weeks of not starting it, the battery completely dies some times. So essential yes. At 1st i thought the unlock issue had to do with the battery dieing, but after more testing found out no. I just realized that there is an after market security system installed. Maybe that is doing it.

·
Registered
2014 GMC Sierra Z71
108 Posts
Would you like to turn a crank at the front of the truck to get it started as well? I say that tongue in cheek because sometimes I'm a stickler for some of the older features and trucks. Hell, I kinda wish my 2014 Sierra had a manual transfer case, so I do know where you are coming from. Having said that...

Just use the fob! Problem solved. It's not rocket science. By the way my 1993 full sized 2-door Blazer 1500 Silverado had remote unlock and remote start. Even the rear lift liftgate could open via the fob, so, this isnt high technology we are dealing with here. Imagine using the fob from 50 feet away and being able to open the barn doors of that Suburban with impunity! And then lock it -with the fob.

The fob is theoretically more secure and certainly has more features than a simple key. Also, trucks used to rust out a keyhole points. Also stops people scratching the paint with keys. They started doing away with extraneous keyholes in the late 1990's. My 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee has only one physical lock at the drivers door.

If I understand both your issue and the workings of the truck properly (and if I'm not I hope I'm corrected)...When you use the physical key to open the door, the truck in layman's terms has no way of "knowing" who opened it. Typically someone would then put the key in the ignition to drive, and the computer chip in the key or fob would talk to the chip behind the dash (VATS key, I think, at that time frame).

Since you aren't putting the key in the ignition, the chips dont get a chance to talk to one another, and so the truck wont then lock using the buttons on the inside of the door. It should still lock if you close the door and again use the key to lock it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Next time i get a suburban I will prolly do what several ppl suggested and fly down to a southern state where an old 97 isn't rusted out and drive it back up. As for old features, would love to have the tilt vents and foot button brights back.

·
Registered
2014 GMC Sierra Z71
108 Posts
Don't get me started. I had a 90 or 91 shortbed Cheyenne with a 305 and 3 speed manual on the floor, manual transfer case, bench seat, crank windows and Goodyear Wrangler TD's and two tone paint. Double slider rear window.

Wish I still had that one.

Saw a local ad for a '77 Ford F250 400cubes Explorer" in brown today and wanted to call the bank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts