GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am posting this for a buddy of mine to see what you folks have to say. The vehicle is 2006 z71 x-cab 5.3l. He is going through about a quart and half between oil changes. He has had it once for warranty but now warranty is gone and its still doing it. What they did to supposedly fix it was to pull heads replace valves, valve seals and stems, check for head warp. Basically a complete head job minus replacing the springs. It lasted for about two oil changes and its back to drinking the oil. As of right now there is no oil in the coolant its not leaking. So my question to you all is where in the world could it be going and what might be causing that much oil loss between changes.

All help is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
the 5.3L is known to have issues with burning oil. and it sounds like you have one that has high consumption.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
since you started the process when it was under warranty and started back up shortly after it was fixed, how long and how many miles. if you are out of the initial warranty but still in 12,000 miles/12months of the repair you might be able to convince them to look/fix it again under warranty. since things done at the dealer carry 12 month/12,000 mile warranties.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I would have to agree to take the vehicle back to the dealership. I can also look into this issue further for you. In order to do so, I will need some more specific information from you. If you could please send me your full name, address, phone number, the VIN for the vehicle, and current mileage via private message, I will be able to take further steps. If your friend is not a member of the forum, he or she can also email me at [email protected]. Thank you again and I look forward to hearing from you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Checked back with him and the 12/12 deal has expired so no warranty left. As of right now if we could find and explanation to where its going since the heads where completely rebuilt, just seems a bit excessive to be eating that much. I did ask if it smokes on first start up and he did say it does from time time and also does it under hard acceleration. Now just wondering but he parks on a pretty steep driveway everyday could it be possible leaking back some where, but you would think that once leveled it would show a sign but it doesnt. We are just both baffled at the moment.

To Tricia I will get all his info and pass it along to some time tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I believe on some when you cant find leaks but its going through oil the piston rings can be the cause. I know that was a problem with some nissans.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Didn't think about the rings being stuck or just bad. Not ever using sea-foam before nor has he if say he had a couple of stuck rings what have ya. Do any of you suggest giving it a try to see or what is your opinion on the whole sea foam thing.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
ive done the whole sea foam thing and have had mixed results. on my new commuter car the intake was all gummed up and it cleaned pretty well. didnt do anything on the truck (maybe I was already doing a good job keeping it clean). Helped some on my wifes nissan. As far as the rings meant more that they are allowing oil to blow by rather than being stuck. could try some lucas oil stabilizer or engine restore with next oil change. but if hes going through alot of oil not sure those will do a lot. think they are better with the smaller amounts of blow by.

·
Registered
264 Posts
id say some bad piston rings

1 - 9 of 9 Posts