GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2007 1500 Burb LTZ in Metallic Blue..5.3L V8... Has 18800 miles....Found out after we made the deal that Joe Gibbs racing had it before me so that will be my lifelong claim to fame.... I guess Chevy had sent them a Burb and Tahoe and both had been previously owned by Joe Gibbs racing.....
Anywho.... a few questions for anyone that knows:
1. Does the fuel management system really save much?
2. Type of oil and filters people are using... I've been using Mobil 1 in my 2005 Trailblazer with a mobil 1 filter
3. Any problems people are having
Love the thing so far but I've only had it 4 days

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Welcome! be sure to post up some pictures when you get a chance!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Use the right oil weight

The 07 is very specific, requiring 5w -??(forgot) oil. Has to do with the aluminum engine according to my dealer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Mike, I'll probably go with Mobil 1 oil and filter first change and see how it does..... then consider a change in oil if the MPG goes down.....The mobil 1 filter is, to me the best out there, so that will never change in my truck.... Anyone ever use Castrol Syntec??

·
Registered
17 Posts
On my 2008 Sub, I find the fuel management does allow me to eek out a few extra miles per gallon. The trick is to watch it while you are driving. If you are accelerating, then you will not benefit from the 4 cylinders since all 8 will be engaged. Like any vehicle, if you ease into the starts and stops, check tire pressure and keep the oil changed and air filter maintained, you should do fine. As for types of oil, I had my dealer do the first oil change. The computer showed it needed it just after 4k miles. Synthetic is a great choice but due to its interval, I would not invest in the "extended life" oil. It would be a waste if you changed it after every 5-7K with oil usually rated 15k. Mobil one synthetic is a great choice. I have also used castrol synthetic in other cars. Just make sure that the quality requirements for the sub are met by the codes on the oil. For the extra geek in all of us, check out the website www.theoilguy.com This site takes oil to the extreme.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Nowlag..... I usually do a change when the oil life monitor gets down to around 25%... then by the time it get it scheduled and done it may be in the teens if it takes a week or so to get in... I have mobil1 in the trailblazer with a mobil1 filter and it seems to be doing well with that combo... just curious as to what everyone else uses and results... The wife drives the Burb daily so I'll pass on the "keep the foot out of it" advise....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts