GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i have an 07 new body style silverado 1500 ltz with bose sound system. installed a rough country leveling kit. im more of a mechanical guy. i have a question i am looking at adding an amp for a subwoofer and i have no clue as to how to get the stereo out of the car and get at the wires for the system. i was wondering if anyone has done this and had some pictures and info on how to do this. i want to keep the stock head unit to keep the steering wheel controls. if someone can help me with this that would be great.

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
**thread moved here*******

·
Registered
75 Posts
Its relatively simple. Ive installed head units on about 5 different vehicles and the majority of the time the whole panel comes off the dash. I have a 2010 but had my local shop do it because i wanted everything to look as if it were stock and not have any issues. I did keep the stock head unit at first to avoid voiding the electronics warranty but after hearing the sound quality i refused to keep it. the stock head unit just doesnt have the clarity or power to produce clean bass. Youll have a lot of unwanted noise, almost like a distant rumbling constantly coming from the sub, due to the poor quality of the head unit. Not only will you have this annoying sound all the time, but your sub wont be able to perform to even 50% of what its actually capable of. You can buy head units that have adapters to keep the stering wheel controls, i know for a fact that alpine offers them. Also, youll need to buy a wiring adapter for OnStar because regular harnesses dont come with the necessary connections. My opinion would be to drop the extra cash for a head unit and mounting bracket and all necessary wiring and do it right, much much better in the long run.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Welcome to the club, ff90.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey thanks for the information. i think ill go for the headunit first then go for the subwoofer and amplifier. what are some models that you know of that would keep the steering wheel controls?

thanks again for the input

·
Registered
740 Posts
I have a 2007 Silverado Classic with the Bose system. I kept my stock head unit and wired up 2 amps, 2 10" Rockford Fosgate subs, and a set up 6x9 speakers as well. To add a sub you have to purchase a Line Out Converter. This costs around $20. I will edit this post in a few and get you some pics and more details for an install. I'm not sure about the NBS trucks, but guess it would be similar.

I wanted to keep the stock look and my steering wheel buttons as well. If you do purchase an aftermarket deck... the wiring harness for it will run over $100. I have one from my old truck 2003 Silverado, but am not sure if it will work with yours. If it will I can give you a good deal on it as long as your truck is Bose package without Onstar.
The wiring harness I have reads:
GMRC-01
GM Chimes No Onstar
0720GMRC_3.6

Maybe someone will know if that harness will work if you do replace your stock head unit...

***EDIT:

So, I haven't really seen much of the NBS Silverados, but think the process would be similar.

The first thing to do is to get a Line Out Converter (LOC).

(Converts speaker wires to RCA)
The line out converter will allow you to tap into your rear speaker wires and convert the signal to an RCA. One important thing to be weary of is that you will need to tap into your rear speaker wires before they pass through your stock amplifier. In my truck the stock amplifier is located under the center console. I tapped the speaker wires on the harness right before they plugged into the stock amp. Once you have the LOC connected run your RCA cable from that to your amp for your subs. You will also have to add a power cord to the amp as well as a remote wire (which tells the amp when to turn on). For my remote wire I used a toggle switch, but there are other wires you can tap into to have it turn on automatically. I hope I'm not confusing you. It is actually pretty simple to do, but hard to explain. If you have any further questions I am more than happy to help. Also, EkeiAvalanche is very knowledgeable about all things car audio so I'm sure he would be able to help you too. Let me know if you have any questions.

PS. My subs sound great and are just as loud as they have ever been with an aftermarket deck. I am thinking that maybe
http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/member.php?48269-lquattro04lquattro04's LOC may have been connected after his stock amplifier, because that will cause poor sound quality and low bass levels. This happened to me with my 2003 Silverado the first time I wired a LOC. That is why it is very important to hit the speaker wires before they pass through the stock amp.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
just about any make ofaftermarket stereo (kenwood, alpine, pioneer, etc)has a bypass to keep your steering wheel controls, a factroy head unit will just not give you the sound control to make it worthwhile to install a good audio system. the BOSE stereo is just a name not actual bose, its still made by ac/delco and is still junk, go to crutchfield.com they will help you more then you could imagine, everything from FREE install gear to actual directions for your vehicle and equipment to install it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts