GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2007 equinox. When i turn key on, I have all lights , radio, everything. But when I turn the key over to start it, nothing. No crank, dash goes black. My battery is good, new starter. New ignition switch, Alternator good, new plugs and wires. Service stabilitrac light, service engine light, and theft deterent system light comes on. The vehicle started up like 5 times in a row a couple days ago, thought I had it fixed, but the next day, same problem . Anybody know what’s wrong ?

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
506 Posts
How did you verify the battery was good?

·
Registered
14,048 Posts
Hmmm, battery, starter, ignition switch, starter relay and wiring is all there is to that circuit.
Try swapping the relay with one of the other relays in the fuse panel.
If it still won't start, use a jumper cable to connect battery neg (ground) to the engine block (just a temp ground to test the engine ground).

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hmmm, battery, starter, ignition switch, starter relay and wiring is all there is to that circuit.
Try swapping the relay with one of the other relays in the fuse panel.
If it still won't start, use a jumper cable to connect battery neg (ground) to the engine block (just a temp ground to test the engine ground).
Do you think the starter relay could be grounding out internally, which is then turning his lights off? Feel like that would blow a fuse... 🤔

·
Registered
14,048 Posts
Do you think the starter relay could be grounding out internally, which is then turning his lights off? Feel like that would blow a fuse... 🤔
I think the light thing is normal Jacob. At least, that's what my truck does, I think the BCM is programmed to turn off most things to provide full battery for starting.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Good point. It would be more noticeable when holding the key longer during diagnostics.

·
1,538 Posts
When i turn key on, I have all lights , radio, everything. But when I turn the key over to start it, nothing. No crank, dash goes black.
I think I have just had a lot of bad luck in this regard, because I see this a lot more frequently than I like. In my case, it is almost always something wrong with a battery post connection. A dirty clamp, a bolt/nut that is loose (and or so corroded or something that it will no longer tighten up enough), or something similar. Fix is usually to just tighten and/or clean the battery terminals. Occasionally I find myself replacing the battery terminals. With my past experience, that's the next thing I would look at.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts