GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning,

I have a 2007 Tahoe with the 5.3 with 149,xxx miles that I have had for about 11 years. Took the wife to appointment today truck started with no problems, stopped by grocery store and started with no problems. However when we stopped at the 3rd store (luckily about 3/4 mile from the house) came out started it up and it didn't quite sound right on the way home, pulled into driveway shut it off and the starter was still running with the key out of the switch and turning the engine over still. Popped hood, by this time smoke was rolling from the starter, grabbed some tools and disconnected battery and it stopped. let it sit about 15 minutes to allow starter to cool off reconnected battery, started truck and it did it again. Disconnected battery, swapped starter relay with another, reconnected battery and it did it again. Any ideas? I goggled it and saw some replies such as fuel pump, throttle body, etc... Any ideas?

·
Registered
14,498 Posts
If it's not the relay, it has to be at, or in, the starter.
Wires touching at the starter, or the solenoid is stuck in the operated position.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it's not the relay, it has to be at, or in, the starter.
Wires touching at the starter, or the solenoid is stuck in the operated position.
Thanks, I'll check the wiring. I replaced the starter about a year ago, I guess maybe the wiring could of vibrated loose and are touching.

·
Registered
14,498 Posts
Check the small wire, the one that is connected to the relay.
On mine, '09, the small one is pushed into the solenoid and can not touch the big red guy.

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
690 Posts
Couple days late, but if it's still stuck and you're in a pinch, hit the starter "bell" (I hit the part over the gear b/c it's easy to work on if bent) with a hammer to knock the solenoid loose and let it disengage. Got stuck in GA a few days after an engine swap because of a faulty starter solenoid.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Checked the wires on the starter and they weren't touching and were tight. Pulled the starter took it to local auto parts store, they did testing and it checked good. Mounted it back up and it still did the same thing. Try starting the thing and starter says engaged, turn the key off and with the key removed from ignition switch it was still trying to turn the engine over. Pulled the starter relay and it was still cranking the engine over. Had to disconnect the battery to get it to stop. Seems like pulling the relay from the fuse box would kill power to it. I'm baffled....

·
Registered
690 Posts
Solenoid is stuck. If it sticks in the out (engaged) position, the starter will crank with its direct power supply. In my opinion, you need a new solenoid. I, personally, would replace the starter and the solenoid while you're there.

·
Registered
14,498 Posts
You must have 12v on the pink/purple solenoid wire, it goes to the relay.
Somewhere between the relay and the solenoid, the pink, or purple wire must be shorted to a 12volt supply, or, there is a short inside the solenoid.
Get a meter, disconnect the pink wire, see if there is 12v on the wire, or on the solenoid stud, or socket.

EDIT:
That solenoid is available as a separate part number; but, you need special sockets to remove it.

·
Registered
690 Posts
You must have 12v on the pink/purple solenoid wire, it goes to the relay.
Somewhere between the relay and the solenoid, the pink, or purple wire must be shorted to a 12volt supply, or, there is a short inside the solenoid.
If this were true, would it not kick once the wires were attached?

·
Registered
14,498 Posts
If this were true, would it not kick once the wires were attached?
Good point Jacob, I guess a non-meter way to test it would be to:
-disconnect the battery.
-remove the pink/purple wire,
-touch the battery cable to battery post.

If starter runs, problem is internal to starter..

If starter does not run, problem is in pink wire circuit.

·
Registered
690 Posts
If starter runs, problem is internal to battery.
You mean internal to the starter...? This one has me slightly confused.

Given the symptoms, I think it's the solenoid. Activated with the key and seizes in the "out" position, causing the starter to turn over and over and over and...ad nauseum. I've had this happen on multiple vehicles. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, sorry, internal to the starter.

I fixed the post.
Sorry with slow reply with work and weather haven't had much time to mess with it. I was thinking the same thing. That if the solenoid was seized out it would stay engaged and start turning as soon as I reconnected the battery cable, but it doesn't. It only happens when I try to start the vehicle. I had the started tested and they said it was good, put it back in and it did the same thing, turn key off, remove the key and it keeps cranking the engine over. Pull the starter relay...still cranking, have to disconnect the battery to get it stopped. Once battery is disconnected I can hook the cable back up and it doesn't crank over until I turn the key and then it does the same thing again until I disconnect the battery. Had the starter tested at 2 different shops and both say the starter works fine, but can tell it has gotten hot. I'll reinstall it, turn the key with out the solenoid wire hooked up and see if after I turn the key off if the solenoid wire still has power going to it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's fixed!! I put the starter back in with out the solenoid wire hooked up and when trying to start the engine the starter would spin, but of course it wouldn't engage the flywheel and it had voltage at solenoid wire until switch was released. Hooked the solenoid wire up, hit the switch and it would crank, start and not disengage still until disconnected the battery. Mmmm. Pulled the starter out again, took it to 2 completely different stores and they both checked it as "good" but second store noted that the amperage draw was on the high side. I said screw it wasn't messing with this anymore, if all else I would eliminate the starter as the issue. Put new starter in and it works as advertised. Never seen a solenoid fail to disengage before but guess this one failed until power was removed. Thanks for the ideas to look at.

·
Registered
14,498 Posts
Good job
I don't think it was always dis-engaging, with out the solenoid wire attached the starter should not spin.
The solenoid does 2 things, it pulls the drive gear into the teeth of the flywheel, or flex plate; and it closed a path between the big red wire (battery) and the post that goes into the starter body.
If the solenoid was good, there would be no sound from the starter with the solenoid wire disconnected.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts