GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 silverado LT crew cab and in the daylight, I can see two bulbs inside the clear panels so I assume they must work? How does the cargo light turn on?

I have checked the manual and have had a truck before where you actuate that light by rotating the dimmer switch all the way to the right but when I have tried that, nothing turns on outside the cab, although the overhead dome lights inside do turn on as they should.

I briefly checked the fuse panel and didnt see anything blown, but am not sure if the inside panel would even control that fuse?

In any case, can someone please help out here? Thanks!

·
Registered
660 Posts
The cargo lamps come on by turning the instrument panel brightness control knob to the farthest clockwise position. This knob is located on the instrument panel and also turns on the dome lamps. The cargo lamp can be used if more light is needed in the cargo area of the vehicle or in the top-box storage units. This information can also be found on page 3-23 of your owner’s manual.

Here are the steps for replacement in case you find that you need to replace the bulbs for the Center High-Mounted Stop lamp (CHMSL) and Cargo Lamp:
1. Remove the screws and lift off the lamp assembly.

A. Cargo Lamp
B. Center High-Mounted Stop lamp Bulb (CHMSL)

2. Remove the CHMSL and Cargo bulbs by turning socket counterclockwise and pulling the bulb straight out.

3. Install the CHMSL and Cargo bulbs by pushing the bulb straight in and turning clockwise.

4. Reinstall the lamp assembly and tighten the screws.

This can also be found on page 5-65 of your owner’s manual. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I am perplexed here. As I thought, when I took the unit apart, both bulbs look to be good and are not blown. I then double checked fuse 12 and it is definately not blown. I guess my next step is to take it in for service.......

1 - 3 of 3 Posts