GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been test driving a 2008 Chevy Silverado 1500 4WD Crew Cab this week. Wow, the best is made even better. I should have a full writeup on it later this week.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
2008 Chevy Silverado 1500 4WD Crew Cab LT2
MSRP: $43,025

Well, that 2008 Chevy Silverado trucks are here. The nice folks at Chevy let me get behind the wheel for a test run, and I put it through it's paces, that's for sure.

What's it like to drive?
You'll think your driving a comfy luxury car. This is perhaps the best driving truck I've been behind the wheel of. Now that GM is in the 2nd year of the current body style, most of the kinks have been worked out of the design process from the 2007 (like the hard-to-read instrument panel when wearing sunglasses). It's a well put together package that I enjoyed very much.

The test truck had the standard 5.3L V8 with the 2nd year active fuel management, this gives you the power that you need when you need it, and better fuel economy when running at a steady speed or when coasting downhill. I never felt at a loss for power and still managed to get near 17 MPG all around driving.

Perhaps the biggest improvemnt for 2008 can be found in the steering and braking. I found the steering to be very easy, almost like it was electronic and I wasn't actually turning a physical shaft. Nevertheless, it was also tight and responsive at the same time. Hats off to the guys at GM on that one.

The built-in navigation package (optional) has matured a bit as well. It appears to be much faster-loading, which is great when you've sometimes got very little space to makes a couple of turns, while watching traffic too. We even typed in "Little Caesers" and found a pizza joint to get a bite to eat. Gave us turn-by-turn directions.

The 4WD on the dial technology is better as well. It's even easier than ever to go into 4-high or 4-low, or set it to AUTO and let the computer handle it for you. We managed to find some more mud (ok, it was the SAME mud hole that I took some of the other Silverados to) and we had no fear of getting stuck in the ruts. Everything when smoothly.

What's it like to sit in?
Not a lot has changed from the 2007 Silverado to the 2008. There is still a lot of leg, head, hip and shoulder room. In my big and tall state I have no problems sitting comfortably, even for long periods of time. I may be dreaming, but there even seems to be more room for my left-foot, under the pesky parking brake. I still think the stereo controls are a bit too far away.

This is a 4WD pickup truck. You do sit up higher than most cars. You are heavier and it takes a while to stop. Make certain to drive like it. I found this out in traffic when 200 cars went from 70 to zero in about 10 seconds (me included) becuase of a just-happened accident up ahead. The 4-wheel anti-lock brakes never locked up and stopped this beast on a dime.

Toys and Gadgets
I'm still hooked on the XM and the built-in DVD system and GPS navigation system. If you're going to spend this much on a truck, you may as well splurge and get the unit that you really want.

The DIC is also very impressive as well. From a glance you can get a view of report of the active MPG you're getting at that moment, tire pressure, transmission temp or a variety of other stats that you may need to know when going down the road.

Overall impression?
Thumbs up and hats off for the 2008 Chevy Silverado. It's comfortable, quiet, has plenty of power and looks great too.

Some Notable Standard Equipment - Test Truck
5 year / 100,000 mile powertrain limited warranty
Vortec 5.3L V8 w/ 4-speed Auto Transmission
Z85 Handling / Trailering Suspension
4 wheel ABS
Tire Pressure Monitor Sytem
Driver Information Center (DIC)
1-year OnStar Safe & Sound

Some of the Options
Remote Vehicle Starter
Heated Window Washing Fluid (hah! in Texas?)
Navigation Radio CD/DVD/MP3 with rear seat entertainment system
Power sliding rear window
Leather seats
XM Satellite Radio
Cargo Management System

·
Registered
9 Posts
08 in the Driveway

Took delivery on a '08 Silverado LT1 with the opt Powerpack (5.3 AFM/locker/3:73) on Saturday. Added some tubular side steps, mud flaps, undercover Toneau cover. Color is dark cherry which is sharp with the black bed lid and stainless chrome tube steps.

Not sure how many Chevy trucks my wife and I have had through the years. If you include family I guess the number is well north of a dozen. Mainly half tons and Suburbans, although for the past four years I have been driving a S10 ZR2, which was tough as nails and racked up a shelf full of SCCA trophies in winter road rally and RallyX competition. Will miss my little ZR2.

I only have a couple of hundred miles on the truck so a bit early to judge, but some preliminary thoughts.

a. Seats. Seats in the Lt1 (manual 60:40) are very comfortable. I have been in luxury cars where the seats were not this good. Good back support and they just fit. By contrast a family member's high dollar Suburban from a few years ago with power everything is a constant hassle of playing with knobs and it is still never right. They did a good job with the seats.

b. Ride. Nothing to fault. Smooth with minimal body lean, not soggy but soaks up bumps. Easy truck to spend a bunch of miles in.

c. Lights. Great headlights.

d. Interior. Gauges and controls are cool. The rotary switches look like they belong in a Corvette. Chevy did a great job with the driver ergonomics.

e. Extended Cab. Doors are great, rear seats are ok, but if you need to put a folding wheel chair in back, it will make you NUTS. The curve of the floor just does not work. GM needs to put some little bungy tie down points so that the millions of americans with a chair, can transport them more easily. GM has a rebate program for the disabled which is nice as I have a family member who is. But, this is so common that GM needs to give it a bit of thought. Someone at GM said to me that I should just put the chair in the bed. Obviously they have not priced modern wheel chairs; stupid thing is worth as much as my motorcycle. :grrrrrr:

f. Towing. Have not hooked up the trailer yet, but why own a truck if you are not going to pull something? No doubt that this is going to be a great tow vehicle.

g. Mileage. Need to put some miles on. First half tank came out to 14.5mpg in town. Hoping as the motor breaks in I will see closer to 17 if I do my part and and maybe some good numbers on the highway. Check back in a few more tankfuls. Still, I have owned a lot worse.

h. Transmission. Would have liked to have waited for GM to put the 6 speed in, but oh well. The four is well tried and faithful, it works. But, it is a bit lazy. I wish they had a sport mode where you push a button and you get more throttle response and quicker shifts. Most of the time I want fuel economy, but other times I want my truck to feel like Chevy trucks used to. Press gas, power now. Every sports car has such a switch. This new truck is serious quick, but a sport mode would allow me mileage or crisp response.

i. Stereo. Sounds really nice. XM cuts out every time I go under a tree, and CT has lots of trees.

j. Wish list. It is a truck, I want a CB and I should not have to find someplace to mount it. Come on GM, make it a factory option. No big deal to have a mic mounted on the dash with a small control to select channels. And, while we are at it, know anyone who does not have a D Cell maglite in their truck? Should be a set of clips in the locking lower compartment for my maglite. Better yet, include the maglite with the truck. Now there is a way to make a guy happy. And, where do I put my sunglasses. A million little nooks and crannies, none of which seem to hold my sunglasses. Maybe I have to spend another $10k to get a 50 cent nook for my glasses.

k. Rattles. Mercedes should be jealous. This truck is quiet and tight. Incredible!

l. Side step. Not sure why GM leaves this money on the table. They should have a raft of options from tubular to electric fold down.

What do I think of the '08 Silverado; it is in the driveway. Hats off to GM for getting this one right.

best wishes,

CT Greg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Follow Up 300 miles on '08

Few more miles. Had 8" of snow last night and the truck was unstoppable. While SUVs were all over the road, Silverado felt great. I have 200lbs of sand over the rear axle plus probably another 100 lbs of gear. I had to stop on a steep hill for a stuck vehicle, pulled out around them and just went up the hill with no fuss. Had the dealer put on the factory moulded mud guards. They charged me $100 for install, but they look good and work well. If buying a truck, negotiate to get these.

Other comments. When I tilt the wheel as far down as I like, I cannot fully see the gauges. Maybe someone else would not have this problem, but common with big gauges. The gauges themselves are lovely.

Gearing feels a bit taller than my prior truck. I would guess they played with ratios in the Trans. But, maybe just a different vehicle. Bottom line is that it is not a problem.

So far so good. And, for all who are on the fence about buying a new truck. Real world is that GM is facing the battle of their life to survive. If a bunch of us buy trucks this year, it can preserve America's greatest car company and their hundreds of thousands of employees in the USA.

Merry Christmas to all.

CT Greg

·
Banned
163 Posts
Watch out with those moulded mud guards. They rub the paint and wear it through. Get some of the 3M Chip Guard film and put it on the truck and then remount the flaps. Big problem for guys who run the moulded guards.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just traded my 07 Classic for the 08 Crew Cab (4x4) and the difference is freaking amazing ! I'll post some pictures later this evening .
If Chevrolet made trucks like this just two or three years ago , they wouldn't be in the position that they are in ! I test drove everything from a Ford F-150 to a Toyota Tundra, and hands down , the new Silverado was superior !

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok, first post and admitedly my review may raise some eyebrows but I have owned both a Chevy and GMC 1500 series pickup in the past. This week I traded in my 2005 Cadillac CTS-V, for those that don't know this is a CTS with a Z06 Vette engine and 6 speed, not your grandpa's Caddy. :gasp:The Caddy was a great car for when I worked from home and didn't drive much, a blast to drive. Now that I am commuting again I decided I wanted a pickup. Ironically I almost bought a new Titan before deciding on the mid life crisis Caddy.

Although I took a bath on the Caddy I am so glad I didn't go with the Titan, I love my new Silverado. From a luxury standpoint with just the LT2 package its heads and shoulders over the Caddy. It feels so much better to me to drive an American truck I can be proud of. It rides 10 times better than the Caddy, not hard for a car to do as the Caddy is an alll out road racer. Nevertheless shocking how much better the ride is in the Silverado. My 2 youngest kids fell asleep in the truck on the first drive it rides so smooth. And I have the Texas Edition with the 20" wheels.

Anxious to see how I can do on gas mileage and want to try some Ethanol soon. Will post some more after I spend more time with the truck. Looks like a great site.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello newbie im also newbie i purchased th 08 silverado havent gotten yet another 4 weeks before del but i was very inpressed with yours and steaves account of it I really hope i get thye same reaction when i get mind it seems you like the ride and as myself im a sticular for haveing nice ride and intterior im big man over 6ft and it seems you like the room on lond distances seems like must be comfortable to ride and driv e in I also got the black ext cab with 5.3 and 3.73 i have 17in wheels so i asume i should also get a little smoother ride as well, with tonneau cover that should help a little on mileage as well im using mine to tow a trailer as i do some camping but will only use the tariler about 6 times a year and input you like more about it i appreaciate
jerry

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thoughts

The new silverado steers like no pick up truck on the planet. The tracking on the highway is nothing short of amazing. Think european sports car.

The downside is that the wide track is large for many parking spaces. This is a wide vehicle.

I have just done my first oil change at 7k miles, and no problems of any kind. Quality control is first rate.

5.3 is a wonderful engine, but if I had it to do again, I would have spent the grand and bought the 6.0. Just for fun, the 5.3 is powerful and makes great noises.

The transmission is rather stupid some of the time as you wait for it to decide what it wants to do. I have not doubt that it will soldier on for many miles and will get the job done. Not terrible, but it is not even as good as the transmission in my prior gen trucks.

I do not like the LT1 interior, as the velour picks up dog hair like a magnet. I clean it constantly. Should have spent a few more dollars and gotten the LT2 interior.

I had some concerns about the drum brakes, but they work wonderfully. Best brakes of any truck I have owned. They got the pedal feel perfect and plenty of power.

Looking forward to trailering with this truck. I it so stable and steers so well, it should be an absolute pleasure.

Bottom line, this is a very fine truck.

CT Greg

·
Registered
11 Posts
New Update after putting 1k miles on the truck. Still loving the ride but I agree with CT Greg as I have the velour seats as well. They seemingly pickup any hair in a 2 mile radius. Have not run across any local Ethanol to try but in mixed highway/city about 40/60 I am getting 17 mpg.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I have been driving a 2008 Silverado 1500 CC 4X4 LT he last couple of days while mine is in for warranty service (heated seats are malfunctioning) and I really like the truck. It's very peppy and comfortable to drive. One question though since I can't find an owners manual in it, next to the cigarette lighter there is a button that has picture of a vehicle with a "burnout" or squiggly lines behind it. It this button for some kind of traction control or locking differential?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have been driving a 2008 Silverado 1500 CC 4X4 LT he last couple of days while mine is in for warranty service (heated seats are malfunctioning) and I really like the truck. It's very peppy and comfortable to drive. One question though since I can't find an owners manual in it, next to the cigarette lighter there is a button that has picture of a vehicle with a "burnout" or squiggly lines behind it. It this button for some kind of traction control or locking differential?
Yes the button you are referring to turns off the traction control.
Silverado Parts
Chevy Truck Parts

·
Registered
15 Posts
2008 Silverado Review

Hi All-

I purchased my 08 Silverado LT1 Z71 ExCab Long Bed 4x4 in January. Now have about 4500 miles on it. So far I only have 2 complaints: fuel mileage and the fabric on the seats is difficult to keep clean. Everything seems to stick to it, and very hard to vacuum.

Other than that, I love it.
I traded in a '98 GMC 2500 XCAB 4x4 AND an '02 Chevy Silverado 1500 LS Z71 XCAB for the new truck. I loved the 02, had no problems 100k miles. It rode very nicely.

The new one rides even better. Has great power with the 5.3 Vortec. The guages look cool, sound system is good.

So far so good! I just hope it lives past my loan!

-Matt

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi All-

I purchased my 08 Silverado LT1 Z71 ExCab Long Bed 4x4 in January. Now have about 4500 miles on it. So far I only have 2 complaints: fuel mileage and the fabric on the seats is difficult to keep clean. Everything seems to stick to it, and very hard to vacuum.

Other than that, I love it.
I traded in a '98 GMC 2500 XCAB 4x4 AND an '02 Chevy Silverado 1500 LS Z71 XCAB for the new truck. I loved the 02, had no problems 100k miles. It rode very nicely.

The new one rides even better. Has great power with the 5.3 Vortec. The guages look cool, sound system is good.

So far so good! I just hope it lives past my loan!

-Matt
It's all money, these Trucks keep getting more expensive ... but they keep getting built better too.

·
Registered
481 Posts
i love my 1500...
my dad has 07 tundra... its a phat truck but can touch american made..

i know gm is tested.. my brother has a 01 gmc 1500 with 260k on it... wqas beat to **** and drives great...

the new tundra just wasent proven.... and them chevy/gmc are the best looking

·
Registered
508 Posts
better than i get, i'm suckin up about 12 in the city, 14 to 15 highway, but thats the price you pay lol.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
better than i get, i'm suckin up about 12 in the city, 14 to 15 highway, but thats the price you pay lol.
You've got a slightly modded truck too! :)

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
as much as I'd love getting great gas mileage, there is no way I could give up driving a truck for a car

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Silverado Double Cab Z71
14 Posts
LT1 Seat Info

I have an '08 2WD Crew Cab LT1 and a golden retriever. The cloth seats are terrible collectors of dog hair.
However, I work for GM and found a service bulletin (#07-08-50-018E) that will allow your dealer to replace all the seat covers (ebony only) with the LT2 fabric. The subject line of the service bulletin actually states: Excessive lint accumulation on Ebony colored cloth seats - Replace all seat covers, headrests and armrests.
I have not had this done yet, but I am contacting the dealer this week to schedule. I will post a reply with the results.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts