GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My oil pressure recently dropped & the indicator came on that says "low oil pressure, turn engine off". Of course this got me very nervous and I shut the engine off & checked my oil level, which was fine. Brought it to my mechanic & he hooked it up to check the pressure and everything was fine. He replaced the Oil pressure switch but that didnt help. Hes thinking it might be an electrical issue.

Also, the oil gauge resets each start-up & the pressure drops after the engine has been running for about 10mins. Also had the pleasure of seeing the "service stabiltrack, tracking control needs serviced" after all this oil pressure issues......ANY IDEAS? THANKS!

- - - Updated - - -

UPDATE: I just talked to a shop & he told me 9/10 times the AFM screen just below the oil pressure sending unit is clogged/dirty and is causing this issue. Im going to replace it this week & hopefully that does the trick.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting, be sure to let us Know
Replaced the AFM screen just below the oil pressure sending unit & everything is back to normal. Have driven for 2 days with no issues with the oil pressure gauge. I am very shocked that this little screen for under $5 was causing problems, but I am very pleased that's all it was. Wish I would have taken pictures of the old and new screen because the old one was very dirty/clogged.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
glad that the proplem was an easy cheap fix

·
6,019 Posts
what was involved in replacing the screen? did you have to pull the valve cover?

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
My oil pressure recently dropped & the indicator came on that says "low oil pressure, turn engine off". Of course this got me very nervous and I shut the engine off & checked my oil level, which was fine. Brought it to my mechanic & he hooked it up to check the pressure and everything was fine. He replaced the Oil pressure switch but that didnt help. Hes thinking it might be an electrical issue.

Also, the oil gauge resets each start-up & the pressure drops after the engine has been running for about 10mins. Also had the pleasure of seeing the "service stabiltrack, tracking control needs serviced" after all this oil pressure issues......ANY IDEAS? THANKS!

- - - Updated - - -

UPDATE: I just talked to a shop & he told me 9/10 times the AFM screen just below the oil pressure sending unit is clogged/dirty and is causing this issue. Im going to replace it this week & hopefully that does the trick.
how about some info about this vehicle. miles/oil type used/frequency of oil/filter changes/your ownership time line with this vehicle. info may help others if this is oil related ...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have had on ongoing issue. M

- - - Updated - - -

I have had the same issue for about two years. It comes and goes, an oil change has resolved it every time, But it doesn't happen every time dash indicator come on

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what was involved in replacing the screen? did you have to pull the valve cover?
Did not have to pull the valve cover. It is on the backside of the engine and sort of hard to access, but I had a buddy bring over an automotive snake camera so we could see what we were doing. Here is an image, the screen/filter is #452. You have to remove the Oil Pressure sensor first (#706) and also had to remove a EVAP pipe:

- - - Updated - - -

how about some info about this vehicle. miles/oil type used/frequency of oil/filter changes/your ownership time line with this vehicle. info may help others if this is oil related ...
It is a 5.3L V8 with 188,XXX miles; I drive A LOT from Indiana to our lake house in Canada. I use Mobil1 5W/30 and change it about every 5,000 miles; just depends on how much fun I have had in between oil changes. Usually change it before 5,000 after I have towed our boat with a quad in the truck bed or after towing a couple sleds. I have had the truck for 3 years and I take exceptional care of it, but I probably do put more wear and tear on it than the average person.

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
thanks for the feed back with this . if you replace /change the oil every 5,000miles with a filter I find it hard to understand the screen being fouled.... make sure the engine is hot and allow time 30 min for the oil to drain....use high quality oil filters.. with the 2013 I WOULD STAY WITH THE AC DELCO...

mobil 1 oil is dexos GM approved oil. this synthetic is a good oil...

·
Registered
4 Posts

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

2008 silverado 1500 4.8. "Low oil pressure turn off" came up on dash. Anyone have any experience what the issue would be.... looked it up online. Shows that an o-ring from suction tube to oil pump goes out causing such thing.... any feed back from actual peeps that've gone through this ? Thanx in advance

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
2008 silverado 1500 4.8. "Low oil pressure turn off" came up on dash. Anyone have any experience what the issue would be.... looked it up online. Shows that an o-ring from suction tube to oil pump goes out causing such thing.... any feed back from actual peeps that've gone through this ? Thanx in advance
read the posting solution and testing with this .. can be many things . O ring at the oil pump is another cause as well as a screen plugged up with sludge.

·
Registered
13,647 Posts
I have had the problem. A new oil filter and oil change solved my problem.

I always use a quality synthetic filter.....one time the parts store did not have the one I usually buy, I took one that was available.

It was the filter I was using when the problem occurred.

I changed the filter and the oil and the truck has been happy

Be sure to use synthetic oil and a quality filter

·
Registered
13,647 Posts
you remember what brand oil filter caused your pressure issue ?
Yep, Canadian Tire (Motormaster)

I did some research after the problem and found they are rebranded Fram filters

The one I usually buy is a Fram Ultra Synthetic, from the same store.

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
many have had problems with fram filters. the ones you use are probably good. the cheaper ones I had cut open and are fabricated poorly .

so because I cut open the filters I now , just use the purolator pure one filters . I also like the sand paper coating easy to keep a good grip ..

·
Registered
13,647 Posts
The cheap Frans have a bad rep but I've had good luck with the Ultra ßynthetic and good Synthetic oil, I usually use Royal Purple

Reactions: j cat

·
Registered
3 Posts

- - - Updated - - -

I have 321,000 mies on my 05 2500HD. Having the same oil pressure problem. I bought the Screen and oil pressure sending unit. When I took the old Sending unit out, I did not see a screen under it. I used a pick to try to remove the screen,but doesn't appear to have 1. I used a snake camera, and can't see it. Could the screen have disintegrated and fallen farther down into the passage? I can feel the metallic threads and the metallic seat, but no screen. HELP?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts