GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I just purchased a Tahoe August 27, 2021 and haven't had for a week yet.
Door locks issue
RPM Issues
As of recently a jack hammering noise coming from somewhere frontnofnthe engine possibly right side?
While idle the RPM Moves around alot and the car shakes and you hear the engine move when the rpm is moving up and down. Than yesterday morning the check engine and I guess stabilitrak control light came on. It read " service traction control, service stabilitrak and than engine power reduced all while the rpm is moving more angerly.
Is this vehicle a lost cause?
The dealership is having it fixed it was already however expensive ther rust last week why the mechanics insisted on not fixing it than pisses me off. Now the mechanic the dealership works with says it needs a new throttle. Thoughts?
And I feel there is possibility of electrical concerns as well. Which is common from what I have read.
The exhaust also has a sweet smell and they claim they don't smell it.
The shifting while driving is struggling as well or maybe it is all related. But why would the throttle have to do with the stabilitrak needing to be serviced? And service traction control?
How is this also going to effect towing a 2 horse trailer? Or is this vehicle a piece if junk. I need to be firm with the dealership find me a safe vehicle. I paid in full just over 15,000 thousand. Under 100 miles 2 owner. please please help.

·
Registered
16,230 Posts
The service traction control is a pretty common problem, I don't know why that message displays with this problem.
As I said in the other thread, there is a GM TSB that addresses this issue and it should be fixed for free.

The sweet smell I don't like, keep a close eye on the coolant level.

The electrical problem, again is a common problem, it is usually due to corrosion inside the underhood fuse panel.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The service traction control is a pretty common problem, I don't know why that message displays with this problem.
As I said in the other thread, there is a GM TSB that addresses this issue and it should be fixed for free.

The sweet smell I don't like, keep a close eye on the coolant level.

The electrical problem, again is a common problem, it is usually due to corrosion inside the underhood fuse panel.
Should I ask the mechanic to look for corrosion inside the underwood fuse panel? While they have it there and under warranty. I agree about the sweet smell 2. They have been dismissive with me on that 1.
Gm TSB? Should I state that to dealership and mechanic? Make sure that it is taken care of?
Is it the throttle? Or is that completely seperate?
Bare with me as I know nothing and I just don't want to end up with a vehicle that is a problem that I just paid for. If I know what to tell the to do it is also easier to avoid being walked all over. The warranty ends September 27. I am a little concerned they are giving me the run around for that reason. If that makes sense.
How often is this common problem with the traction control happen?
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate it. I haven't had a " new car" in ages. I keep my cars till 200 plus miles. I rescue dogs and horses and need a reliable forever vehicle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Should I ask the mechanic to look for corrosion inside the underwood fuse panel? While they have it there and under warranty. I agree about the sweet smell 2. They have been dismissive with me on that 1.
Gm TSB? Should I state that to dealership and mechanic? Make sure that it is taken care of?
Is it the throttle? Or is that completely seperate?
Bare with me as I know nothing and I just don't want to end up with a vehicle that is a problem that I just paid for. If I know what to tell the to do it is also easier to avoid being walked all over. The warranty ends September 27. I am a little concerned they are giving me the run around for that reason. If that makes sense.
How often is this common problem with the traction control happen?
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate it. I haven't had a " new car" in ages. I keep my cars till 200 plus miles. I rescue dogs and horses and need a reliable forever vehicle.

·
Registered
16,230 Posts
It's not a traction control problem; but for some reason, only known to GM, they display the traction control message.

Not to worry about understanding, we can walk you through it.
In the old days, the gas pedal was connected to the carb with a wire; move the pedal, the wire moved the carb"s butterfly.
Today it's all electrical.
The gas pedal (accelerator) has a resistor connected to it, this resistor changes resistance when the pedal moves. The change in resistance changes the electrical current that flows through it. This resistor is called the Accelerator Position Sensor.
A throttle body has replaced the carb on today's trucks.
The TB has a motor that moves as the APS current changes, this motor is called the Throttle Position Sensor and it changes the position of the butterfly inside the TB. As the butterfly opens, more air flows in and the engine increases RPMs.
The problems occur when the TPS is unable to follow the APS.

Go through the other thread and look for the service bulletin number, then you can call up the TSB.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's not a traction control problem; but for some reason, only known to GM, they display the traction control message.

Not to worry about understanding, we can walk you through it.
In the old days, the gas pedal was connected to the carb with a wire; move the pedal, the wire moved the carb"s butterfly.
Today it's all electrical.
The gas pedal (accelerator) has a resistor connected to it, this resistor changes resistance when the pedal moves. The change in resistance changes the electrical current that flows through it. This resistor is called the Accelerator Position Sensor.
A throttle body has replaced the carb on today's trucks.
The TB has a motor that moves as the APS current changes, this motor is called the Throttle Position Sensor and it changes the position of the butterfly inside the TB. As the butterfly opens, more air flows in and the engine increases RPMs.
The problems occur when the TPS is unable to follow the APS.

Go through the other thread and look for the service bulletin number, then you can call up the TSB.
Hey, so the dealership had there mechanic shop replace the throttle sensor though ibam not sure if its the sensor or not. Guess that means I don't or won't be able to have it warranties?
They also said the exhaust is new and the sweet smell that I seem to be the only one smelling may be from the new exhaust??? I don't buy that bs. However, woukd love to know your thoughts, please.
The shop just kept telling me its a 12 or 13 year old car the i.e dismissive attitude. The car would also make this hoowing, whistling type noise when driving they claimed they didn't hear it all the time. Oh and that the jack hammering noise never happened.
I plan on having it looked at by another mechanic when I get it back tomorrow.
I am concerned this vehicle despite the low miles was a mistake. I need to figure thst out sooner than later because I will than have to strong arm the dealership as they have already bull dozed over me when I even breached the subject of concern that this tahoe isn't going to work for me.

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
1,435 Posts
Your "new exhaust" could have a weird smell. If they replaced the cats, then it will change how the vehicle processes emissions. I don't remember thinking mine were "sweet", but they definitely smelled weird until they broke in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your "new exhaust" could have a weird smell. If they replaced the cats, then it will change how the vehicle processes emissions. I don't remember thinking mine were "sweet", but they definitely smelled weird until they broke in.
I do believe it was the cats they replaced so it would pass inspection. You mean so that it will lass emissions? It a mix of def sweet, almost burning smell hard to explain but I haven't had yet for a full week. Driven a couple of days here and there between taking it back to the dealership =(.
How long did it take for yours to break in? Hoping to god thats all it is.

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
1,435 Posts
No, I meant new cats will alter how the truck processes the gases and fumes it is putting out, thereby changing how it smells. The cats are chemically altering ("cleaning") the emissions from your vehicle. We do not have emissions testing or inspections in FL, so I replaced mine thinking they were plugged.

I've driven the truck a couple thousand miles since the swap and the funky smell has lessened, but it's still there when I stand on it.

From what I've read here, you have more going on than just new cat smell. Good luck. :confused:

FWIW: The jack-hammering sound could be a poorly installed air compressor. My truck sounds like a diesel when the compressor is engaged.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, I meant new cats will alter how the truck processes the gases and fumes it is putting out, thereby changing how it smells. The cats are chemically altering ("cleaning") the emissions from your vehicle. We do not have emissions testing or inspections in FL, so I replaced mine thinking they were plugged.

I've driven the truck a couple thousand miles since the swap and the funky smell has lessened, but it's still there when I stand on it.

From what I've read here, you have more going on than just new cat smell. Good luck. :confused:

FWIW: The jack-hammering sound could be a poorly installed air compressor. My truck sounds like a diesel when the compressor is engaged.
Yes, sadly a lot going on.
The mechanic said they never heard the jack hammering noise, go figure. The ac is on and I believe they also put in a new compressor before I purchased it. At the same mechanic shop. Apparently this dealership uses them for all of there vehicles. Will be interesting to see if hear the noise again now the they replaced the throttle sensor or so they say they replaced it. Wondering if maybe it made that noise because of that? I tried to post the videos here but it would not let me upload them.
It did pass md inspection prior to me purchasing it. But I am sure there are sadly ways to make vehicles pass just to pass them. As the back door locks, windows woukd roll down but would not.roll back up in the back aeat..only by driver controls would they roll back up.
Door locks would have failed the inspection I believe. I also think I read that the window and door lock issues ar easy sadly a common trend.
I am starting to regret giving a chevy a try. =(

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, sadly a lot going on.
The mechanic said they never heard the jack hammering noise, go figure. The ac is on and I believe they also put in a new compressor before I purchased it. At the same mechanic shop. Apparently this dealership uses them for all of there vehicles. Will be interesting to see if hear the noise again now the they replaced the throttle sensor or so they say they replaced it. Wondering if maybe it made that noise because of that? I tried to post the videos here but it would not let me upload them.
It did pass md inspection prior to me purchasing it. But I am sure there are sadly ways to make vehicles pass just to pass them. As the back door locks, windows woukd roll down but would not.roll back up in the back aeat..only by driver controls would they roll back up.
Door locks would have failed the inspection I believe. I also think I read that the window and door lock issues ar easy sadly a common trend.
I am starting to regret giving a chevy a try. =(
It was not the throttle sensor. They replaced the throttle its self.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a client who said Chevy Tahoes are just a problematic vehicle in general.
I had not found that directly in researching large 3 row Suv that tow a 2 horse trailer. While expedition had the highest tow capacity. I loved my 99 for expedition and wanted another one. However finding 1 in decent condition in my price range was not looking realistic.

·
Registered
16,230 Posts
Mine was a year old when I bought it, I've had very little trouble with it, I think they are very reliable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Unfortunately I bought a 2008 so it is older.
Under 100,000 miles on it.
Not sure that is a good thing or a bad thing now. I preferred the lower miles because I drive a alot.

·
Registered
16,230 Posts
What I'm telling you is mine is an '09, I have had it for 11 years, it has higher mileage than yours and I have found it to be very reliable.
Yes, I have changed a few parts, but nothing that wouldn't be considered normal wear and tear.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh, my apologies. Its been a long 2 weeks. Haven't had my vehicle yet a week. That is really good to hear thank you.

·
Registered
16,230 Posts
Not to worry, I understand, with any luck you'll have many trouble free miles.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts