GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:glasses:Hello all my question is in the 2008 silverado they installed the wiring for a Brake Controller under the dash, It no longer uses the old type of Quick connect, You have to install by splicing the wires and then run to the box under the hood as its now universal ??/ i have had someone send me a diagram of how to do .its seems like the task that i am physically unable to do and I called my chevy dealer, and asked if they have been installing anyone that had their own brake controller. And what it would cost he claimed about 1 hour labor charge? I read the diagram and it seems you have to be extreamly carefull because the box has to be lifted about an inch to install the small screws ( which dont come with and you supply)seems you could lose the connection somehow it the box is broken. the dealer didnt seem to understand the problem I asked if i could talk to the mechanic that will do the job so i can know that i wont have any problems i really dont think many dealers have done this new type hookup. Anyone here or tech people find problems getting it done from the dealership. anyone to help i appreciate
jerry

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am running into the same issue, I had a controller (tekonsha voyager) on our Oddysey van and now that I have a real tow vehicle :) I asked them to take the one from the van and put it in the Silverado (has tow pkg).

Now the light on the controller is always on where it should only be on when connected to the camper. The brake lights and turn signals do work but when I press the brakes it does not seem to actually register as far as on the controller itself. Usually the light on the controller changes color when brakes are applied and that is just not happening.

I may take it to the place where we got the camper they seem to be more knowledgeable in general when it comes to towing. You would think a dealer would do it enough on the trucks to know but I guess not.

·
Registered
561 Posts
i guess i got to look at the new cars. i just did a ford F550 and i did not use any of the fctory wires i ran all new. this ford has the intragrated brake system and it failed and no shop could repair it so i put in new....mike

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well i had my controller insytalled by my dealer, i finally used my truck to tow my popup trailer last weekend. When the controller is pluged into the wiring, even though you havent attacthed the trailer plug to the truck there is power going to the controller cause its wired into the wiring under dash . The reading on mine is .c when connected to the trailer its .c. In the parked condition ( i have the Prodigy) i slide the lever over and its reads what i set it at 6.0.....I beleive when the trailer plug isnt attached to the tow veh , U still have power to the controller . ???

1 - 4 of 4 Posts