GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help here, 2008 silverado 1500 5.3. The dipstick tube was broken off in the block so we dropped the pan, differential..etc. Got the tube out, and put it all back together. (Oil was drained as we were doing a change too) filled it up with 5w30 Amsoil and an amsoil filter. Now at start up the oil pressure will read 0 and there is a tick, knocking noise that will get louder after time. But if I'm driving oil pressure is fine and there is no ticking knocking. Any help? I'm just trying to limp it to work and back. Never had an issue before we dropped the pan and changed the oil.. (Sorry I typed this out quick since I gotta be up in an hour and a half for work)

·
Registered
377 Posts
How many miles.
Do you know what the filter micron rating is? I've read in another post(Amsoil link) here that some Amsoil filters can filter down to less than 2 microns, and stock filters are over 20 microns.
If the motor wasn't acting the same way before the oil/filter change, I'd try a stock filter to see if that makes a difference in your pressure and flow.

·
6,019 Posts
I would not keep driving it at all. Not until you figure out the issue. Running it for any amount of time with zero pressure is going to result in permanent damage. Knocking and ticking indicates that metal is rubbing Or hitting other metal components with no lubrication between the metals. Every time you start it you are shortening the engine life and it is not going to last long in this situation

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
The oil filter you used is 15 microns for filtering amsoil filters /wix filters basically the same.
you messed with the oil pan now oil pressure is bad this means that the pickup tube is leaking and sucking air instead of oil.

DO NOT RUN ENGINE AND REDUE THE PAN DROP.. CHECK THE PICK UP TUBE CAREFULLY..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all, I only had to drive it to work 3min away. Trailering it tonight though. Going to drop the pan again tonight and recheck everything. Too think all this happened because of a broken dipstick tube that was still lodged in the block o_O

·
Registered
555 Posts
Only the Amsoil bypass filters go down to 2 microns. The standard full flow filters are similar micron rating as any other for the vehicle.

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
the amsoil bypass filters are just that ... these do filter down to this 2 microns but only 10% of the flow. bypass which means these do not operate all of the flow and do not and are not for continued filtration of all the engine oil.. In a short amount of time these would be plugged with all the small particles , if this is the only filter inn the system..

the industry standard is 15-20 microns. wix states 10-12 microns with some of their filters.. more filtration can lead to reduced flow which is not good..

I did maintain a hydraulic braking system that required 2 microns . that was a tough one since when working on these internally , the room needed to be extremely clean as dust particles would cause problems..

the air filter of engine will pass 2 microns easy then these get into the oil.. too much filtration is as bad as too little..

·
Registered
555 Posts
Bypass filters are not a part time they don't do anything type of thing. As long as the engine is running, they are filtering. They just take a smaller amount per minute than the standard full flow filter does. The oil passes thru slower and the denser micron media captures what the full flow filter lets thru.

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
Bypass filters are not a part time they don't do anything type of thing. As long as the engine is running, they are filtering. They just take a smaller amount per minute than the standard full flow filter does. The oil passes thru slower and the denser micron media captures what the full flow filter lets thru.

they filter only 10% of the flow. also these do add to the oil required because of the added oil needed... these are good for those diesels with a lot of soot being needed to remove from the oil with that type engine. good type design to extend diesel oil changes..

this is not needed in a 5.3 L gas 1500 truck .. total over kill since I can go 7K miles and the oil is still very clean. I would use this system in heavy construction diesels where there is lots of dirt/dust etc...less down time ..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got it fixed ya'll. We learned a valuable lesson to READ a manual, it was the oring on the oil pick tube. We neglected to replace it, but we'll remember for next time! Thanks for the suggestions.:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.