GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so this is my first post so go easy. It's also my first new vehicle, just picked her upon 6/18/08

here is 'Blue'

Nothing Special just your basic work truck package with the dark blue metallic paint
but she's all mine

Almost forgot its got the 5.3 with cylinder deactivation, towing package with locking rear diff, 3.73 gears

Now I just need some advice on tires and wheels.
I want to run two separate sets of tires, summer and winter, any idea what this is gonna do to the TPMS when I put on tires without the RFID tag?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
Welcome and great looking truck! I have seen some folks keep their "stock" wheels and tires for Winter and keep the after market wheels and tires for better weather. Just a thought.
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Hey if you want to keep your stock wheels as one set and then get another set, it will cost about 240 bucks to get new sensors put in before there mounted and balanced. I choose not to go this route and you'll have a light on the dash which doesn't really bother me. I picked up 20" Wheels and At's for about 1500 from discounttiredirect.com shipped to my door. :great:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hey if you want to keep your stock wheels as one set and then get another set, it will cost about 240 bucks to get new sensors put in before there mounted and balanced. I choose not to go this route and you'll have a light on the dash which doesn't really bother me. I picked up 20" Wheels and At's for about 1500 from discounttiredirect.com shipped to my door. :great:
not to mention the people like me that have to put everything together for you when you buy the stuff will like you alot more if you dont get new sensors, but its not a huge deal just an extra little plastic that has to be screwed into the new wheel. if you take it anywhere other then discount tire/americas tire, or les shwab i would watch them very closely to make sure if they break any of the new sensors they pay to get them replaced.

one time i was pulling a tire off a rim and the tpms sensor was rolling around in the tire becuz Big O decided they were going to glue the sensor back on after they broke it off, which of coarse destroyed the sensor even more and when he brough it to us he has to buy a new one.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so this might sound like a stupid question but do all 2008's come with TPMS or is it an option?

·
Registered
134 Posts
so this might sound like a stupid question but do all 2008's come with TPMS or is it an option?
Not positive, but my '08 has it...hasn't bothered me yet, but I won't be putting aftermarket rims on it...after all it is a work truck.

And congrats on the truck, you will have to keep an eye on the fuel mileage with the 5.7. Mine also has cylinder deactivation and 3.73s, but it is a 6.0L...and gets about 11 mpg! I am mostly curious, but it seems that the fuel mileage is going down in the GMs. I know mine sounds good when I get on it, but it does have a lot of hesitation...and it won't power brake no matter what!! (BTW, even w/o goofing off, it gets the 11 mpg)

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Welcome to the site, btw. Truck looks good, let us know what you plan on for wheels and tires. :great:

·
Registered
29 Posts

It's required. The govt added it as a required safety feature in response to all the low inflation roll overs on SUV's and pickups.

If you get new tires that require a different amount of pressure, the dealer can reprogram your computer to update the minimum pressure amount. Also at the same time, be sure that they recalibrate your Speedo!

Cya,
Paul

·
Registered
508 Posts
i drove a rental while gm was working on my truck, and it was a stock work truck, didn't have the TPMS on it, i don't think the bottom models have them on it.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Welcome to the site! Nice lookin truck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts