GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone knew the best way to hook up an amp in my truck. It has the bose system and I was wondering if the HU had an aux output I could hook my amp up to? Or should I hook into a door speaker wire. oh yeah, I'm puttin two 12's in a custom enclosure under the back seats(its a crew cab). Thanks,

Adam

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
its gonna be easier to get a splitter box for it instead of trying to wire into the dash, you splice into the wiring at some point then run those wires to the box, which then turns them into RCA wires to run to the amp, i know MONSTER makes them, i had one in my sunbird in college

·
Registered
6 Posts
to do it right, you would want to go through your radio(if it has RCA preamp outs). if it doesnt, they make kits like the other guy said to splice the cables. you can run it under your carpet by the door jam(bottom). the panels seperate pretty easily. but be sure you run your power cable and RCA cord on opposite sides of your vehicle, or you will pick up sound waves from the power cable. also, be sure to effectivley ground everything and put a fuse as close to your battery as possible!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pretty much what they are saying is to take it in and have the pros do it... esp on a brand new truck
I wanted to do it myself but it might be ease to just let the pros do it. Whats a reasonable price I shoudl expect for instillation?

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
depends where you are going to custom or best buy type of place, time and any shop hardware they use. If you have everything already as far as hardware and equipment i would guess $150

·
Registered
94 Posts
My 2004 Tahoe with the bose system did not have the outputs needed to run an amp off of the head unit. I have a non stock head unit so mine was pretty easy to hook up with the out puts already on there... I would look at it yourself before sending it to the pros because you can save a ton of money doing it yourself or having a friend do it. Plus the dash pieces are usually pretty easy to take off and a couple screws hold the CD player in. Good luck!

·
Registered
139 Posts
he man. whats up? i saw you post and thought i could help. first off, i would always recomend professional installation if you are not comfortable with the install. your factory HU is not going to have pre-outs for the amp, nor any other factory HU ever made by a car company. what you are trying to do is very easy. you will need a line out converter. thats going to give you your pre-out so you can run the RCAs to the inputs on the amp. the line out will just tap into the speaker wires. since you have the bose system, you are going to have to make sure you have a speaker wire and not a signal wire. (you can pick one of these up at any local best buy, curcit city, etc)..

as far as the amp turn on wire, you can get that from the acc. wire in the ignition harness (its going to be brown). make sure and test it first. its just to the left of the steering colum under the driver dash. its in a light blue pug at the top of the BCM. its so dark brown, it almost looks black!

hit me up if you need anymore help. i am an mobile electronics installer at best buy in N.J. if i cant answer your questions, i can for sure find someone who can... GOOD LUCK!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just installed mine in my truck

Hey bro I just did an install in my truck but mine doesn't have the bose system so I bought the RCA converter at a mobile audio store in the city here. It was about 40 bucks. I grabbed the remote from the back of my stereo but hooked it into the Radio dimmer wire which was yellow on mine. The reason I did that is so that I can turn off me system when I pull up to a cop and my other speakers still run normal. I spliced my rca converter into the right front speaker by the front kick panel on the passengers side. There were many sets of wires and the wires on mine were light green (+), and dark green (-) and wrapped together. The wires were all wrapped by neon green tape. I verified the color of the speaker wires by taking off the whole door panel and looking at the speaker. But I don't know if its different on the bose system. It all came out really nice! Let me know if you need any help in avoiding a headache.

Manny

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got my box and speakers in and went to install it and discovered I have no where to put my amp. The box goes under the whole back seat so there is no room. I want to hide the amp and wires to achieve the stock look. Anybody have any ideas or know of a knoock or cranny to fit an amp in. I thought about maybe my tool box?

·
Super Moderator
3,377 Posts
Your tool box is not a good idea at all, if you're referring to a bed truck box. Moisture, is going to be a huge issue doing it like that. Moisture in the truck box, moisture getting through the back of the cab where you ran the wires. It's just not a good idea in my opinion. Unfortunately I don't have any better alternatives to offer.

·
Registered
46 Posts
had the same problem

Hey adam i just had the same issue the other day. originally i had taken out my seat on the back right and cut a square into the plastic it had there but i failed to notice that my amp was not going to clear the metal joints that fold until i tried to put the seat back in. if you take out the same seat i did you will notice there is a pretty good size space you can set your amp behind the middle backseat. depending on how big and wide your amp is you will still be able to fold up your seat. thats what i had to do. i wanted to keep the stock appearance too. let me know if you need some more information on this if i didn't make it clear enough.

manny

·
Registered
46 Posts
removing seats

The back right passenger seat is held by six bolts if i remember correctly you'll need like a 3/4 inch socket that is pretty deep though. 4 bolts are 3/4 inch and two other ones that hold both back seats together are 10mm or 3/32 works well too. pretty easy to do once you take off the bolts keep the seat folded and lift it up. it has a hook that seats in a groove in the back of the truck. shouldn't give you much trouble

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
depending what options you have, as far as front seating and middle console you could tuck it under one of the front seats but mount it to the seat not the floor so it moves with the seat and doesnt get wet from beeing on the floor, this would also helo with air movement on it keeping it plenty cool

·
Registered
139 Posts
I got my box and speakers in and went to install it and discovered I have no where to put my amp. The box goes under the whole back seat so there is no room. I want to hide the amp and wires to achieve the stock look. Anybody have any ideas or know of a knoock or cranny to fit an amp in. I thought about maybe my tool box?
im not to fimilar with the new trucks, but maybe see if there is some room under one of the front seats. other that that, im not to sure.... maybe on the back wall behind the back rest of the back seats??

1 - 20 of 24 Posts