GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have had trouble with dead battery over the past three weeks. Sets overnight or most of the day and battery is dead. Removing positive post prevents battery from draining.

We have tried:
Changed battery first - no change; still dead over night.
Took to local mechanic - said could not find a problem.
Took to Chevy Dealership - said there was no problem, must be bad battery.

Everything is factory except a DVD player. Unplugged positive wire to DVD player from breaker panel and battery still dead next morning.

What do I need to do?

Thanks Sam

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Welcome to the club, Sam. How old is the battery?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Have had trouble with dead battery over the past three weeks. Sets overnight or most of the day and battery is dead. Removing positive post prevents battery from draining.

We have tried:
Changed battery first - no change; still dead over night.
Took to local mechanic - said could not find a problem.
Took to Chevy Dealership - said there was no problem, must be bad battery.

Everything is factory except a DVD player. Unplugged positive wire to DVD player from breaker panel and battery still dead next morning.

What do I need to do?

Thanks Sam
Provided there's no after market alarm.....

I think the drill goes like this.
First make absolutely certain all interior lights, under hood trouble lights, and vanity mirror lights are off.
With your digital voltmeter handy, engine off, start pulling fuses, one at a time, and check the current draw.

·
Super Moderator
3,382 Posts
Provided there's no after market alarm.....

I think the drill goes like this.
First make absolutely certain all interior lights, under hood trouble lights, and vanity mirror lights are off.
With your digital voltmeter handy, engine off, start pulling fuses, one at a time, and check the current draw.
That's pretty much it. Take your meter, and switch the red lead over to the "10A" side. Hook the meter up in line with the negative battery cable between the battery terminal and the battery cable. Turn the meter on to the DC amps setting and observe the meter. Anything more than a couple hundredths of an amp, and you have a draw you need to track down. Start pulling fuses one by one while observing the draw until it goes down. Then you should have narrowed down what circuit it's on, so you can track down the offending item causing the draw.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pulled all the fuses using voltmeter. Did not find anything.

Assumed it was starter or alternator. Pulled starter fuse out to eliminate current from going through starter; have current to the solenoid.

Result, batter still dead this morning; well setting at 6 volts.

---------- Post added at 09:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 AM ----------

Battery was replaced about 3 month ago. First thing we did when this battery was dead two mornings in a row was replace the 3 month old battery. Current battery has been in vehicle for 3 weeks or so.

Tested battery and starter this morning at NAPA and everything checked out ok.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I wouldn't think starter or Alt, unless in use. Just sitting, it's a short, or something left on.
Time to check the battery cables, cable ends, and grounds.
Also make sure they (NAPA) check that battery for load too. Some appear charged but drop to zip with a load.

·
Registered
330 Posts
On a somewhat related note, are the cigarette lighters still "hot" after you turn off the vehicle on the newer Burbs?

My 1998 I have a phone charger plugged in, and even if the vehicle is off it still runs accessories or powers my phone charger. Kind of a neat feature, but if I'm sitting long periods of time, I need to pull any accessory attached.

My neighbor has a fairly new Tahoe who told me they have a problem with the rig dying if they don't drive it a couple days in a row. The battery they had seemed a bit on the small side to me. Again the dealership could not find anything wrong.

I'm also tracking down a starting problem on my passenger vehicle, and I think it is related to a dying alternator. I have enough charge to get around, but if I have accessories turned on (radio etc) when driving in slow traffic, if I come to a stop, sometimes I don't have enough juice to get started again. Replaced the battery with an Optima yellow top too, so maybe the alternator current should be checked while you are running to see if it is putting out enough juice.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Dust off your voltage meter and check the battery with engine off. Check the Alt leads with it running. You should be in the 14 volt range on both.

·
Super Moderator
3,382 Posts
With the engine running you should get 14 volts, but with the engine off you will only get 12 volts or so. Should be around 12.7 when fully charged and resting.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Pulled all the fuses using voltmeter. Did not find anything.
If you were using the volt scale, you won't see any results even if you pull all the fuses.. You will always see battery voltage with it hooked up between the negative cable & negative post if you are on the volt scale. You need to use the amp scale & then pull the fuses one at a time untill your draw disappears.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts