GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to this site. I have a 2009 Chevrolet crew Cab Hybrid with 8th VIN number (5). My gas engine threw a rod and looking for a used/reman engine. The electric part of it is fine. I didn't think it would be difficult to find an used/reman engine, but it has proven to be so. I'm in ID and any help/links would be most appreciated if there is a well known place that sells them. Thanks guys and gals.

·
Registered
13,836 Posts
Wow, that's a 6 ltr, isn't it? It's probably a LS2 based 6 ltr; but with enough changes so that other LS2 blocks ant be used.

You say it threw a rod, did it actually?
What damage did it do?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It did. Never towed with it, have carried few heavy furniture items. That day, I was hauling a couch, was at a stop sign, engine shuts off, like normal, hit the gad pedal and it shook like hell...the whole truck. Pulled off. Turned engine off. Restarted and shook like hell, put in gear and it stops shaking. Check engine light come on. Towed to mechanic, pulled plug and put camera in engine, metal shavings everywhere.

·
Registered
13,836 Posts
That could be a broken ring, a number of things,
My definition of a thrown rod is when the rod, or wrist pin breaks and the rod bangs up the cylinder, in some cases, going through the block
I would consider a tear down to see the actual damage a good shop might be able to rebuild.

·
Registered
354 Posts
That could be a broken ring, a number of things,
My definition of a thrown rod is when the rod, or wrist pin breaks and the rod bangs up the cylinder, in some cases, going through the block
I would consider a tear down to see the actual damage a good shop might be able to rebuild.

Friend of my brother threw a rod on a 68 Charger, went thru the block, bounced off the pavement and took out the gas tank too, amazing on a cast iron big block, but I guess physics come into play, even with a lightweight con rod enough rpm's and inertia. . . .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts