GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2011 Chevy Silverado has developed an interior roof leak in the back passenger side corner by the glass right above where the seat belt comes out. It leaks when it rains or when I go through the carwash. You can see in the picture where exactly it is and how much leaks. It doesn't drip but gets very damp. The back glass is solid and it is still sealed so I wouldn't think it would be leaking in there. Any ideas as to where or what could be causing it to leak? I also attached a picture of the outside as to where I think it might be leaking. Any idea what that part is called or what its supposed to do? Thanks for any input!
Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part
Automotive exterior Vehicle Car Vehicle door Windshield

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Your Center High Mounted Stop Light is leaking. You can try sealing the seal with RTV but most replace the seal, I think. Google 2011 "silverado chmsl leaking" without the quotes

Edit: Now in your last pic I see the roof weatherstripping at the top of the door is twisted. It might be the weatherstripping but the CHMSL is usually the culprit. It's very common on the GMT900.

Ted

Reactions: RayVoy

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
looking at the leak on the roof liner I do not believe it is the 3rd brake lamp assy.. yes these do leak if disturbed but not in that corner. I would remove the roof rubber strip and see if there is a crack .. that if not properly assembled or if the cab was hit could cause this leak.

the other item has been the rear window seam leaking I have heard of a few that had to do this having glass company reset the rear windshield . I actually watched a you tube video of a glass company doing it .

·
Registered
451 Posts
Hi, J Cat. I have had a number of water leaks in vehicles. Hard to trace. Where you think they are coming from, they aren't. My guess, and it is just that, is your rear window has a leak in the seal.

But in any event, when I had two leaks in my truck in the back of the extended cab, I had to remove all the interior panels in the rear area and put paper towels in the bottom in several places and see where the water dripped down. After doing that I used leak detection spray to pinpoint the leak.

I suggest you try to remove your side and rear interior panels (carefully, they can be very easy to break off the fittings where the clips attach) and leave the head liner in place if possible (the installation at the front where you attach the visors is a real pain to get back together sometimes), and go on eBay and do a search for "refrigerant leak detection spray" and buy a can. I use this stuff all the time for all sorts of stuff, I keep three or four cans around. This will help you trace the leak.

In my case, I had a brand new rear window installed professionally (after a complete disassembly and reduction to bare metal and repainting of the truck) and they messed it up, causing the leak. So they had to come out and put in a new window and seal (for free). I also had a very small leak in a screw mounting hole in my side window in the extended cab that was leaking ever so slightly. So I had to disassemble the window and reseal the fastener areas on the window.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
The CHMSL leaks are well documented.

Ted

·
Registered
35 Posts
When I bought my 07 crew cab Liz (same body) I had the same issue. They replaced sunroof molding, as well as rear brake light. That did not solve my issue. I ended up dropping the head board myself to reveal that the cartridges attatched to sunroof drains for the rear were leaking. They used some sort of putty to seal the cartridges to the sunroof tray. I removed both cartridges, cleaned them thoroughly and reinstalled with silicone. I tested time and time again with no issue. About 6 months later it happened again. I said screw it and drilled a drain hole under the door step. Never gives me a problem now HAH

·
Registered
16,657 Posts
Kip, what year?
It looks like an air bag cap; but it could be for the driver's grab bar

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
windshield leaks are common .. now when a window is replaced the glass installer can create a poor install .. damages paint then the sealer lifts up on rust water comes in.
Put electrical tape around the windshield .. see if the water does not come in .. then a rust/poor seal job.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2011 Chevy Silverado has developed an interior roof leak in the back passenger side corner by the glass right above where the seat belt comes out. It leaks when it rains or when I go through the carwash. You can see in the picture where exactly it is and how much leaks. It doesn't drip but gets very damp. The back glass is solid and it is still sealed so I wouldn't think it would be leaking in there. Any ideas as to where or what could be causing it to leak? I also attached a picture of the outside as to where I think it might be leaking. Any idea what that part is called or what its supposed to do? Thanks for any input!
View attachment 109273 View attachment 109281
Good morning,
Did you ever find the source of the leak? I just noticed the exact same stain this morning in my truck!
Steve 2103 Serria Crew

1 - 10 of 10 Posts