1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My crew cab silverado 2011 1500 power seats has
developed a busted open seam on back section at the
seam right where airbag is located on drivers side near
door. The stiching has open and the cushion can be seen.
How or do I fix this, can I just resew and airbag will still
open (pop) if in accident correctly?
Thk U
TJ

·
Registered
16,682 Posts
Are you sure there is an airbag in the seat, I don't recall see any airbag decals on my '09.
I would try some peal and stick tape, a piece inside and a piece on the outside (if you can match the colour.
The other option is an upholstery repair shop, they have the right glues and the right colours

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Ray pretty sure , when I went to repair the seat seam I looked inside the seat side section
and saw what appeared to be a set up with an airbag
Now you make me wonder myself, was I just thinking in my mind that it had to have one.
Could be a Homer Simpson moment I sure hope so That will save me from having to order a new OEM cover from GM Big Bucks. I have been searching the web I wonder if I run the Vin if it would have further info.
Do you know of any such sites to look up vehicle Vin # as far as what my truck came equipped with
It is a 2011 silverado LT leather seats with electrical seat controls no heaters, I was sure there were aig bags in door sides of seats , I am prob wrong?
As always Thanks for your help, Great job on the site.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ran the Vin
My truck has Driver side seat has airbags
It said
Air bags, frontal, driver and right-front passenger with Passenger Sensing System (Always use safety belts and the correct child restraints for your child's age and size. Even in vehicles equipped with air bags and the Passenger Sensing System, children are safer when properly secured in a rear seat in the appropriate infant, child or booster seat. Never place a rear-facing infant restraint in the front seat of any vehicle equipped with an active frontal air bag. See the Owner's Manual and child safety seat instructions for more safety information.)

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 480k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
1,573 Posts
Take a picture of the side of the seat. I don't think the airbags deploy through the seams, so I'm looking for a strange patch, kinda like vinyl, it would blow through.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Take a picture of the side of the seat. I don't think the airbags deploy through the seams, so I'm looking for a strange patch, kinda like vinyl, it would blow through.
Jacob
Here is a pic of a 2011 seat from side its the seam at arrow
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle White Seat belt

Mine is ripped open about halfway down and open , I can not get a real pic right now but I will
I confirmed that there is an airbag in there.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jacob
Here is actually pic and there is an airbag label sewn right into this seam also
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Tread Vehicle door

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 480k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
1,573 Posts
Yep, you're right. Interesting.

Here's my 04.
Automotive design Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Steering part

Not knowing what tension is required for the airbag to properly inflate and be properly preloaded before busting through, I think you're going to have to find a reputable professional or buy a new cover.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, you're right. Interesting.

Here's my 04. View attachment 171297

Not knowing what tension is required for the airbag to properly inflate and be properly preloaded before busting through, I think you're going to have to find a reputable professional or buy a new cover.
I started to sew it with strong thread and realized there might be a break level and stopped
I was thin king some standard sewing thread (break by hand kind doubled up) it would still be breakable, but would break as soon as I slid my big ass in it too LOL
I wish mine was like yous
May disconnect the bag for now until fixed

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
static electricity can set it off.... pull battery or airbag fuse and then there is a time period you need to wait and I dont know how long that is..... that is so that it will still deploy without battery power.

be careful and figure out those details before proceeding in disconnecting it.

BTW I dont actually know anything about these trucks so I'm no help there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There are videos on YouTube that show you how to remove the seat covers so that you can sew them up from the inside.
I am fairly certain that the airbag deploys out of the plastic cover on the side of the seat and does not split open the seams on the seat. Good luck!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There are videos on YouTube that show you how to remove the seat covers so that you can sew them up from the inside.
I am fairly certain that the airbag deploys out of the plastic cover on the side of the seat and does not split open the seams on the seat. Good luck!
Thk U but I double checked , there is an airbag in there and has airbag tag sewn into the seam at bag
There is no plastic escape port anyway on the seat for airbag to deploy.
I have researched it and this trucks seat does deploy out of the seam and it is very important that a repair shop use the right re sewing method so bag goes into the right area if in accident.
I want to just re-stich it with a correct thread if possible.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
I would think this is a major design flaw and massive safety concern. GM should be the one fixing this or replacing the seat. what a terrible design. obviously they know it didn't work as they moved the way it deploys in later seats.

I would think there should be a TSB, Technical Service Bulletin on something this serious.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
I am suprised that I cant find anything.

problems with safety equipment is a HUGE concern!

but let's not forget the tikita airbags and manufactures still using them long after figuring out how dangerous they are. I mean they still used them 10 years after they were found to be deadly. GM is now settling a class action lawsuit and so I really shouldn't be suprised that there is no acknowledgement of this piss poor design.

heres a video of what happens when a airbag deploys correctly and when it doesn't.

and heres the site I found it on.... they go into great detail about these side impact airbags and the stitches that contain them. this is the best info I can come up with.

Read This Before Sewing Airbag Seams

whenever it comes to safety concerns, GM will do a cost anylsis of fixing the problem, paying for wrongful deaths or doing nothing. they do nothing until there are so many deaths that another organization makes them do something and that is the NHTSA!

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is responsible for keeping people safe on America's roadways. Through enforcing vehicle performance standards and partnerships with state and local governments, NHTSA reduces deaths, injuries and economic losses from motor vehicle crashes.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
I have reached out to a current GM engineer, he has access to all of GM's records and hopefully he can come up with something. I do know he is working from home and that may limit what info he can find.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have reached out to a current GM engineer, he has access to all of GM's records and hopefully he can come up with something. I do know he is working from home and that may limit what info he can find.
Thk You
I agree whole heartedly with all you said and I found that same site a few days ago
Let me know if he finds anything
Again THK U
Roster

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Well, he all ready got back to me and GM has not acknowledged any problems with these seats or seams.

So unfortunately there is no legit solution.

I almost think I would personally disable this air bag system since it can not be relied upon to deploy safely.

I drive older trucks that dont have these whatsoever and still have excellent crash ratings.

I dont know, there are huge risks either way.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts