GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to forum and had my silverado all of 3 weeks now and it's been in the shop for over a week. Long story short, let my family borrow it to tow the horse trailer down to a show in Charleston and get a call on the way that the oil pressure light is on and the pressure was at 0. Told them to press the Onstar button to see if they could help and they told them to keep going. Got the truck to the dealer down in Charleston (they've been pretty helpful and keeping me informed) and they said there was a service bulletin out about the oil sending units and pressure gauges. Anyways, local dealer had not heard of this bulletin, but replacing both seems to be the fix. Will find out on Monday as they are sending a driver to go get it. Anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
I know they've had probs with the sending units & the stepper motors for the guages, but hadn't heard about the guages themselves being an issue.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Welcome to the club. Sounds like everything will be O.K.!

·
Registered
660 Posts
I am glad to see that you are working with your local dealership regarding your concern. Please feel free to keep us posted. You can contact me via private message as well. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Serivce.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought a 2011 Silverado 1500 LT Crew cab and the oil pressure shows between 35 and 39 psi at 70 mph. I am not sure if this reads correct. I have no oil pressure light on so far.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Low Oil Pressure

GWyatt,

Seems very low to me, I have a 2011 Silverado 1500 with the 5.3 and it is the same way. I have only had it for 2 weeks. Anyone know what the oil pressure should be? It was much higher on my 2002 even after 165K miles.

I am new here so thanks for any help.

---------- Post added at 03:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------

Hi Tricia,

What should the oil pressure be on a 2011 with a 5.3. (2 weeks old) At Idle and at 70mph?

·
Registered
660 Posts
I would be happy to look into what your correct oil pressure should be with your VIN. Please feel free to contact me via private message. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Starcast, click on Tricias user name GM Cust Serv. over to the left of her post. A box will drop down. Select option that says send message, click it & it will take you to the message page

·
Registered
18 Posts
If it helps, my '00 5.3L runs 3/4 way up the gauge at around 2200 RPMs....40 is dead center, 100 is at the top of the guage, so I'm definitely running over 40psi. At idle, its right around 40 PSI. Just some info for ya

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have hung around the dealership to see what is normal oil pressure for my 2010. I even got to take a 2011 new for test drive.

Just like my truck when warm, 30 psi idle, 40 psi at 60-70 mph and 55psi at wide open. Looks low compared to my old 2002 but it is normal.

besides, rule of thmb is 10 psi per 1000rpm, so you should be good

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too purchased a new 2011 Chevy silverado ext cab ltz 5.3 and at a hot idle am a little over 20psi and rarely above 40psi. I am concerned. Is it the crap oil from the assembly plant? It only has 700 miles on darn thing. I would certainly hope its not an oil sending unit. Anyone else have this problem and get an actual solution? Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Triica, I"m having a problem with my oil pressure on my 2011 Sierra. It is a 4.9 engine and after my second oil change at 10,33 miles the oil pressure gauge reads 35psi at 1200 rpm with a warm engine and 20psi at a idle of 500rpm. I"m pretty sure my gauge read higher before. Can you tell me what the oil pressure should be.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
you must be using the dexos GM approved licensed engine oil. this is for these new vehicles as it is explained below, mobil makes a dexos synthetic engine oil as well as others. the oil filters for these are very low on the bypass pressure operation. always use a gm ac delco oil filter to avoid any issues.

at idle 30 psi seems normal. at 2000 rpm about 45 psi.

my 2000 5.3L with the wix oil filter with a much higher bypass pressure as designed , with mobil synthetic 5-30wt oil has 40 psi at idle and 60 psi at 2000rpm. cold start 70 psi for a very short time. 140,000mi..

GM manufactures cars and trucks in 34 countries and sells them in over 140 countries. These vehicles contain an array of more than 20 different engine sizes. To function well and to last a long time, these increasingly high-performance engines need a consistently high-quality oil, and that quality and uniformity needs to be available anywhere in the world.

Now it is.

GM Powertrain engineers have developed dexos™ - a proprietary, global engine oil specification designed specifically to meet the requirements of GM vehicles. So, whether it's a Chevrolet, Opel, Daewoo, or Holden driven in Pennsylvania, Munich, Seoul, or Sydney, dexos™ engine oils are recommended by GM for use in their vehicles.

The dexos™ specification was uniquely designed to complement the exacting requirements of GM's advanced engine technology. The specification has gone through an extensive developmental and testing process. It requires a number of proprietary tests that are not included in current industry standards and sets performance criteria at a level that exceeds many current standards. The result is a high performance fluid providing significant wear protection, improved piston cleanliness, a reduction in volatility and oil consumption, enhanced aeration control for improved fuel efficiency, and better oxidation properties. dexos™ is an exclusive trademark of General Motors. Only those oils displaying the dexos™ trademark and icon on the front label have been certified and licensed by GM as meeting the demanding performance requirements and stringent quality standards of the dexos™ specification.

GM has found that using substandard oil can affect engine performance and, in the worst case scenario, may damage or harm the engine. Only licensed dexos™ products have been certified by GM to meet the dexos™ specification. Unlicensed products have not gone through GM's rigorous testing process, are not monitored for quality, and are not approved or recommended for use in GM vehicles. Unlicensed product quality and suitability for GM vehicles cannot be guaranteed and, therefore, use of unlicensed products may result in lower levels of performance and could cause engine damage that may not be covered under warranty.

There are many authentic licensed dexos™ products readily available at retail outlets, service repair shops, quick lube operations, and GM service centers. dexos™ licensed products are easy to identify. Simply look for the dexos™ icon on the front label and the 11 digit alphanumeric dexos™ license number on the back label. Unless an oil package displays these two markings, the engine oil is not an authentic, licensed dexos™ product and is not recommended for use in GM vehicles.

For a list of licensed dexos™ products, click here to go to licensed brands.

dexos™ is recommended by GM for use in all its vehicles except those with Duramax diesel engines requiring the use of API CJ-4 engine oil. dexos™ is fully backward-compatible and can be used in older vehicles. It is specified in the owner's manual for all 2011 and later model years, with the exception of Europe where dexos™ is specified starting in model year 2010.

• dexos1™ is designed for use with gasoline engines and replaces GM-LL-A-025, GM6094M and GM4718M

• dexos2™ is designed for use with light-duty diesel engines and replaces GM-LL-B-025 and GM-LL-A-025
The dexos™ specification and trademark are exclusive to General Motors, LLC. The Center for Quality Assurance monitors and publishes licensed dexos™ products to assist consumers in making informed decisions when purchasing engine oil to service their vehicle.

Using engine oils other than authentic licensed dexos™ products could result in reduced engine performance.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a 2010 Silverado 5.3 running Mobil 5w-30. If you are getting 30-40psi at 70 miles per hour that is normal. Couple things to know:

1. We are mostly running 6 speed trannys, so the engine is not pulling high rpms and developing the higher oil pressure we are use to seeing. Run up the rpms, you will see you oil presssure climb close to 50-60psi. It is still there. But that is at WOT
2. GM recommends 10 psi per 1000rpm, so you should be fine. According to spec, i believe a 5.3 needs 8psi at 1000rpms, 12psi at 2000rpms, and 20 psi at 4000psi worst case. Dont quote me but it is close to that, you can find it out on the forum or google it.
3. Originaly when active fuel management came out, the oil pressures were running at 60 psi as they did in the 2000s. Then the active fuel management system would shutdown the lifters/4 cylinders, 60 psi oil was jetting in the crankcase, vaporizing some of the oil. People were experiencing oil buring off due to these fumes being constantly picked up via the PCV system. To get around it, GM change the nozzle as it dumps the oil during deactivation and limits the oil pressure to around 40 now. Hence when cold you will see 40-60 psi, when warm you will see 30-40. Completely normal.

IF you doubt, talk to the HEAD service manager or GM directly, I have went back and forth and after 80,000miles, i have no enigne problems and dont burn a drop of oil

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to forum and had my silverado all of 3 weeks now and it's been in the shop for over a week. Long story short, let my family borrow it to tow the horse trailer down to a show in Charleston and get a call on the way that the oil pressure light is on and the pressure was at 0. Told them to press the Onstar button to see if they could help and they told them to keep going. Got the truck to the dealer down in Charleston (they've been pretty helpful and keeping me informed) and they said there was a service bulletin out about the oil sending units and pressure gauges. Anyways, local dealer had not heard of this bulletin, but replacing both seems to be the fix. Will find out on Monday as they are sending a driver to go get it. Anyone else had this problem?
i have a 2011 Crew Cab LTZ and i was towing my travel trailer when an alarm went off telling me Low Oil Pressure and to shut engine off. It was reading 15 psi. I shut the engine off and checked the oil level and it was full (still had over 1,200 miles to go for next oil change) but the oil was smoking off the dip stick. Started the truck back up and it had 30 psi so i drove it the mile i had left to the camp ground and then went to wal-mart and got oil and filter and after i changed it the pressure went to 38 psi. when driving it now the oil pressure will drop just below 30 psi and when giving it more throttle it won't come back up. This is my 3rd new body style silverado and the other two were always 40 psi or higher. I then called my local silverado dealer and explained what happened and they said it was nothing to worry about... after about 3 weeks I decided to call another dealer and they said get it in to them that there are issues that need looked at. Today was my appointment and they ordered a Baffle for the oil pan ( Gm thinks oil is splashing on to the pistons) oil sending unit screen, valve cover and going to put a cleaner in the engine to try and free the rings, due to me getting oil spraying out of the exhaust all over my bumper and smoking out the exhaust. The manager at the chevy dealer said that he don't think this is going to work and that they will probably be replacing the pistons and rings after they try what Gm wants them to do.

·
Registered
193 Posts
JoeS -That's normal dude. These things run a very low psi compared to previous years.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

you must be using the dexos GM approved licensed engine oil. this is for these new vehicles as it is explained below, mobil makes a dexos synthetic engine oil as well as others. the oil filters for these are very low on the bypass pressure operation. always use a gm ac delco oil filter to avoid any issues.

at idle 30 psi seems normal. at 2000 rpm about 45 psi.

my 2000 5.3L with the wix oil filter with a much higher bypass pressure as designed , with mobil synthetic 5-30wt oil has 40 psi at idle and 60 psi at 2000rpm. cold start 70 psi for a very short time. 140,000mi..

GM manufactures cars and trucks in 34 countries and sells them in over 140 countries. These vehicles contain an array of more than 20 different engine sizes. To function well and to last a long time, these increasingly high-performance engines need a consistently high-quality oil, and that quality and uniformity needs to be available anywhere in the world.

Now it is.

GM Powertrain engineers have developed dexos™ - a proprietary, global engine oil specification designed specifically to meet the requirements of GM vehicles. So, whether it's a Chevrolet, Opel, Daewoo, or Holden driven in Pennsylvania, Munich, Seoul, or Sydney, dexos™ engine oils are recommended by GM for use in their vehicles.

The dexos™ specification was uniquely designed to complement the exacting requirements of GM's advanced engine technology. The specification has gone through an extensive developmental and testing process. It requires a number of proprietary tests that are not included in current industry standards and sets performance criteria at a level that exceeds many current standards. The result is a high performance fluid providing significant wear protection, improved piston cleanliness, a reduction in volatility and oil consumption, enhanced aeration control for improved fuel efficiency, and better oxidation properties. dexos™ is an exclusive trademark of General Motors. Only those oils displaying the dexos™ trademark and icon on the front label have been certified and licensed by GM as meeting the demanding performance requirements and stringent quality standards of the dexos™ specification.

GM has found that using substandard oil can affect engine performance and, in the worst case scenario, may damage or harm the engine. Only licensed dexos™ products have been certified by GM to meet the dexos™ specification. Unlicensed products have not gone through GM's rigorous testing process, are not monitored for quality, and are not approved or recommended for use in GM vehicles. Unlicensed product quality and suitability for GM vehicles cannot be guaranteed and, therefore, use of unlicensed products may result in lower levels of performance and could cause engine damage that may not be covered under warranty.

There are many authentic licensed dexos™ products readily available at retail outlets, service repair shops, quick lube operations, and GM service centers. dexos™ licensed products are easy to identify. Simply look for the dexos™ icon on the front label and the 11 digit alphanumeric dexos™ license number on the back label. Unless an oil package displays these two markings, the engine oil is not an authentic, licensed dexos™ product and is not recommended for use in GM vehicles.

For a list of licensed dexos™ products, click here to go to licensed brands.

dexos™ is recommended by GM for use in all its vehicles except those with Duramax diesel engines requiring the use of API CJ-4 engine oil. dexos™ is fully backward-compatible and can be used in older vehicles. It is specified in the owner's manual for all 2011 and later model years, with the exception of Europe where dexos™ is specified starting in model year 2010.

• dexos1™ is designed for use with gasoline engines and replaces GM-LL-A-025, GM6094M and GM4718M

• dexos2™ is designed for use with light-duty diesel engines and replaces GM-LL-B-025 and GM-LL-A-025
The dexos™ specification and trademark are exclusive to General Motors, LLC. The Center for Quality Assurance monitors and publishes licensed dexos™ products to assist consumers in making informed decisions when purchasing engine oil to service their vehicle.

Using engine oils other than authentic licensed dexos™ products could result in reduced engine performance.

Jcat-you do realize that previous years Silverados (07-2010) are spec'ed conventional oil while the 5.3 motors are of the same design as the 2011s-2013s?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts