GM Truck Club Forum banner

2012 Colorado 4 cyl

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  RayVoy 
#1 ·
I bought a low mileage ( less than 20,000 miles) 2012 Colorado because I liked the smaller trucks (I used to have S-10's). This truck has the 4 cyl engine so i thought it would be good to drive out of state sometimes to visit family. My S-10's had the the 4.3L V-6 engine and I was always able to get from the low to mid 20's in MPG. This Colorado with a body that looks no bigger (maybe smaller) than the S-10's barely gets 20 MPG and sometimes it is closer to 18 MPG even when driving some distance and not just around town. Is this normal for this engine? If so, any suggestions to improve it? Or is it what it is?

Thanks,

Ron

#2 ·
Ron, sometimes the smaller engine isn't always the most efficient in real world driving; sometimes the vehicle is a little too big for the smaller engine.
Usually the rear axle gear ratio is a lower ratio in the smaller engine trucks, this means that the engine will rev (rpm) higher for the mph being driven.
Higher rpm means more gas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.