GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a while ago while wiring in a light bar on my 2013 sierra, I accidentally touched a power and ground for my toggle and fried the high beam relay.
Turns out the relay is built in to the fuse block and to replace it is quite expensive. With a little help from my good friend and factory tech for Hyundai, we were fairly easily able to bypass the factory one and hook up a standard relay. So I will share this as I havent seen a write up to do this yet.
First step is to remove the fuse block and lift it out of the way to show the connectors underneath.
Second is to pull the very forward and right side connector. There will be a black and light green wire and a white and dark green wire, these are the power wires to your head lights. Unpin or snip these two wires and pull out of the loom a ways for later. Snap the connector back in to place.
Third is to remove the very forward, left connector (closest to driver fender) locate a tan and white wire. This is the signal wire from the high/low switch in the cab. Unpin or snip this wire and pull out of the loom. Snap the connector back in to place and reinstall the fuse block. Last, wire a standard relay with a fusable link using power from the studs on the front of the fuse block, the signal wire (tan/white) and the power wires to the head lights. Simple fix costing 10$ instead of 200$. Hope this helps someone.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I just want to point out one very important and absolutely crucial step that you missed.

Step #1 - Disconnect the battery.

Al

Reactions: Goldie and RayVoy

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Thanks for the write up. It may help someone else later on. Just to reinforce what @the gawd said, please do disconnect the battery, but by removing the negative cable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts