GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week the oil pressure warning went off in my 2013 burb. It still sounded like it was running okay so the mechanic I took it to replaced the sending unit sensor thinking that was the problem. No dice.

Now he's saying they put a manual gauge on it and could only get a 10 psi reading. He thinks the engine bearings are worn out and that the whole engine needs to be replaced. Is this something anyone else has run into? Obviously it'd be a big expense so I'm trying to get as much info as possible.

I've gotten quotes to replace it from $6.8k up to $10k from the original guy to replace the engine and the radiator.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had the same problem, a new filter fixed it.

Change to synthetic oil and use a synthetic oil filter.
I've been using synthetic in it (Castrol gtx high mileage) since I bought it 4 years ago. Is there a special type of filter thats supposed to be used with synthetic vs standard oil? I normally get it changed at a shop so I don't know what filter they use.

·
Registered
16,453 Posts
The higher quality filters work fine with synthetic oil. The cheap filters will work as well; but they have a shorter life.
I use synthetic as well and change it myself (only saying this to point out that I knew what was used), one morning the low pressure light came on.
I checked the level, it was good; but I knew I had used a cheap filter that I had at the house (too lazy to drive to store that day), so I bought new oil and a good filter, after the change, the low pressure warning never came back.

I can't guarantee a new filter will fix your problem but it is a quick cheap try.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The higher quality filters work fine with synthetic oil. The cheap filters will work as well; but they have a shorter life.
I use synthetic as well and change it myself (only saying this to point out that I knew what was used), one morning the low pressure light came on.
I checked the level, it was good; but I knew I had used a cheap filter that I had at the house (too lazy to drive to store that day), so I bought new oil and a good filter, after the change, the low pressure warning never came back.

I can't guarantee a new filter will fix your problem but it is a quick cheap try.
Awesome, appreciate the input. Definitely worth a try before we go and buy a whole new engine lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome, appreciate the input. Definitely worth a try before we go and buy a whole new engine lol

Sounds like you saved the day, Ray! All this happened at my folks' house out of town so we left it with them. I suggested the filter like you said and my dad just called and said he changed it and it seems like that did the trick.

Way cheaper than a new engine. I owe you a couple of cases of beer and a while bunch of gratitude.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Now if we could just get beer past those darn Mounties…

Reactions: thegawd and RayVoy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just wanted to come back and provide some info for anyone who finds this in the future. Dad took apart the old filter for kicks and giggles and said that the filter cartridge in it was crushed. So I'm guessing what happened is on cold startup (had a cold front the night before this happened) the oil filter bypass valve failed shut and the high dP crushed the filter, causing a major restriction in the oil flow path.

He's driven it a good bit more and said it still seems to be running just fine, so fingers crossed that was the only issue we had.

From what I can tell, the 2013 LC9 engines don't have their own oil filter bypass valve, and those valves are always internal to the oil filter now. Can anyone confirm that? Want to make sure there's not a bad valve in there I need to change out to keep this from happening again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts