GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
I've recently purchased a 2016 Silverado 1500 LT with the Z71 package and 3:42 rear end.

The vehicle felt good during the test drive but I have noticed recently that it feels "restricted" in some way.

I don't mean restricted in power, but more like the drivetrain is fighting against a restriction or something.

I get no odd noises or vibrations, but it doesn't feel as "free" as I would expect it to, especially when coasting downhill on the highway, it very easily slows down under its own weight.

I have checked tyres, brakes and vehicle settings (Tow/Hill assist) etc and cannot see any issues.

Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
turn off traction control?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't done that yet, don't know why that would cause the issue I think I'm having

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
it applies the brakes and holds the truck back... stops the tires from spinning when you stomp on the gas. if your not used to a vehicle with traction control it will feel restricted. you should have seen my buddy trying to do donuts in my field with his brand new ram. his tires wouldnt spin and it was hilarious. then he turned the traction control off and finally got the wheels spinning. traction control also helps chew through brakes way more than you would expect.

Al

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most vehicles ive driven have had TC and none of them have had this feeling of restriction!

TC only applies brakes when traction is lost to slow down the spin of the wheels so they all match speed and regain traction. This restriction feels constant.

·
Registered
15,209 Posts
Have you checked the air filter, maybe dirty enough to block flow.

Other though is maybe a plugged exhaust, like in the cats.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I have a 2016 W/T
I know the feeling. Its (IMO) a drive by wire thing and the AFM.
Feels 'doggy'.
I drive it with a heavier foot and seems less obnoxious.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm looking to get a few mods / upgrades done in the new year, including a custom tune that will turn off the AFM, hopefully that will sort out the restriction feeling and increase in gas mileage I've seen lately.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Depends how you look at it. More fuel used is an increase, or less miles per tank is a decrease?!

I average 18L/100km right now compared to 16L when I bought it. Only thing I've done is close the Tonneau cover!

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
1,176 Posts
Our 2014(?) has "grade braking". I saw the message for it yesterday for the first time. It manipulated the brakes while coasting down hill with TC on and pulling a trailer. Might look into that particular setting.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
oh no.... it's not a performance or a mechanical problem. to me the truck is probably running absolutely fine then. at least that's how I interpret it. drive by wire throttle, computer controlled brakes, traction control, active or dynamic fuel management, none of tha crap is for me, I like fuel injection and abs though. i have driven a 2018, it rode nice but i could not get used to it, the delay when pushing the pedal is fuked. when i stomp on the gas in my burb it roars to life and spins the tires.

i seem to recall that these trucks also have been reprogrammed so that they dont use the engine brake to slow down and instead applies the brakes. i wonder what will happen if the computer in between the brake peddle and the brakes stops working, will the truck still stop?

theres to much tech in these trucks but If you want to figure out what is wrong then this truck needs to see a professional mechanic. it would be even better if you could get it on a chassis dyno and have it tuned... a tuner can make the truck run however you want it to run, theres the plus side of the tech and its programmability.

Al

Reactions: Lerch98

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I read an article not that long ago about truck aerodynamics and gms engineer in charge of it. she said that a soft tonnue cover is better than the hard ones because it will conform to the shape that's most efficient. tailgate up is better than the tailgate down. and the thing on top of the tailgate is also a spoiler to direct wind up and away. the back of the truck is more important than the front. the front lower valance is very important to cooling the truck and for directing air down and away from the pockets that trap air creating turbulence. she also said a place of concern that creates a lot of turbulence is the gap in between the cab and the box, it needs to be closed off somehow.... GMC Pickups 101: Busting Myths of Truck Aerodynamics

for a test. put your tonnue cover away and see if it increases your fuel mileage. I dont even know what we should call that in Canada LMAO. my Burb is from Texas and it's in miles, to me, mileage is way easier to calculate and understand this way and I manually calculate my mileage at every fill up. The metric system had to relate it to something so they went liters / 100kms... obviously a lower Liter# is an increase in mileage.

Al

·
Registered
15,209 Posts
i seem to recall that these trucks also have been reprogrammed so that they dont use the engine brake to slow down and instead applies the brakes. i wonder what will happen if the computer in between the brake peddle and the brakes stops working, will the truck still stop
Al, I can't speak to the current grade retarded braking; but my wife's '08 Saturn has a version.
The car has a 4 speed auto and when going down hill and she touches the brake, the transmission downshifts to 3rd. Lift your foot and it stays there until the vehicle is level, or she uses the gas. No brake wear.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
that's the engine brake tho... right? my 90's trucks with the 4l60es do the same thing... in my opinion that's normal and how it should be.

Al

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi.
I've recently purchased a 2016 Silverado 1500 LT with the Z71 package and 3:42 rear end.

The vehicle felt good during the test drive but I have noticed recently that it feels "restricted" in some way.

I don't mean restricted in power, but more like the drivetrain is fighting against a restriction or something.

I get no odd noises or vibrations, but it doesn't feel as "free" as I would expect it to, especially when coasting downhill on the highway, it very easily slows down under its own weight.

I have checked tyres, brakes and vehicle settings (Tow/Hill assist) etc and cannot see any issues.

Hi.

I haven't myself (I have a 2011 Silverado) but a guy I know had trouble with his transmission doing weird stuff and this was one of the issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi.

Buy a RANGE AFM eliminater and that will help, because all cylinders will function continuously.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Try to find a used 2016 Z71 at a dealers lot and go for a test drive and compare.

Reactions: Lerch98
1 - 20 of 23 Posts