GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Crew Cab 4x4 5.3l V8, Purchased with a 4"lift with 35-12.50-20 MT
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found this forum still gotta do the intro part, but here it goes.
I recently purchased a 2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Crew Cab 4x4 5.3l V8. It does have a 4" lift installed with 35-12.50-20 MT. Its got 120k-ish miles on it. I did have it checked over by 2 shops before I purchased it one of them I trust greatly and they specialize in off road vehicles. Both shops said it was a good truck in good shape and the lift was done properly and not by "someone with their head up their a$$". Driving the vehicle at about 35-40mph you feel a shake, and again at 60-70mph. It is a shake in the truck, not a vibration and not in the steering wheel; you feel it in the whole truck. There is no noise associated with the shake. Its always at those 2 speed brackets, goes away once you get below 30mph. I havent pushed the truck faster than 70 since the shake started so i cant say if it gets worse or better with speed.

*The rear drive shaft appears to be at the proper angle and is stiff and solid with no play or movement. There is SLIGHT play in the front drive shaft, but nothing that would cause a shake like this. The movement is marginal at most.
*I have gotten a tire balance, tire rotation, adjusted tire pressure, and got an alignment. There is no uneven tread wear
*I noticed the front driver side CV Joint was throwing grease so i just replaced the Front Driver CV Joint Assembly \
And the shake at the same speed brackets is STILL there.

All of this and i am starting to loose hope in the truck and beginning to think i got myself into a jacked up situation purchasing the truck. Any common issues or root causes to this problem, any of you experienced this and have solutions to it, any areas i need to focus on or look at next for repairs to try to fix this issue sooner rather than later.

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 480k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
1,573 Posts
Does the front driveshaft on your model always spin, even in 2wd?

Bad u-joints in the shafts is usually what causes these symptoms for me. Typically the front shaft.

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Crew Cab 4x4 5.3l V8, Purchased with a 4"lift with 35-12.50-20 MT
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the front driveshaft on your model always spin, even in 2wd?

Bad u-joints in the shafts is usually what causes these symptoms for me. Typically the front shaft.
I have to crawl underneath and check, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't free spin. I do remember checking the drive shafts first because that was my first thought. I know the rear drive shaft is solid no movement what so ever. The front drive shaft had a very small amount of play, but I do not think its enough to cause this much of a shake.

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 480k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
1,573 Posts
I've had them appear tight, but the bearings were gone when they were taken apart. Might be worth looking real close.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts