GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have a 2019 Chevy Silverado LT Z71 4x4, Crew Cab, short bed truck. I live in Michigan and my family is taking a trip to Florida this upcoming summer, and it'll be approximately 1,200 miles each way, there and back. For safety reasons, we are considering driving my truck, but I have some questions about the fuel economy. I don't do a lot of expressway driving, but when I do, I typically drive 75 MPH.

Has anyone taken a similar trip, or drive expressways a lot, and know what kind of MPG's you get with that type of driving? What have you found is an optimal speed on expressways to optimize your MPG?

·
Registered
489 Posts
I often have found that driving around 70mph was decent for time and mileage in my vehicle on a highway. It can vary depending on how your truck is geared though. If you can get behind another vehicle thats going the same speed as you, sometimes that helps too since your not pushing through air as hard because you are essentially "drafting" off another vehicle. I don't mean tailgating someone else but keeping a reasonable distance. Of course other things to help would be to make sure your tire pressure is set correctly and that your air filter is clean/new before leaving.

·
Registered
12,696 Posts
The GM trucks with a 5.3 and a 3:42 rear will get around 20mpg at 70 mph.
As @Crispyt suggest, air up the tires a little, I run 35psi (cold) when driving any distance (33psi in the rear if back is empty).

EDIT:
That's assuming you have factory spec tires, off road tires will kill your mileage.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I get 20-21 mpg on straight expressway driving on my 2018 Suburban 4WD with 5.3L and 3.42 rear.
75 mph. Georgia to Houston, TX.
4 passengers with full luggage compartment.
18-inch road tires at 35 psi.
Cruise control on flats. Disengage on uphill.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I find after 70mph the mpg starts taking a hit. I know the truck will cruise all day long at 75 - 80mph-but that's not an economical speed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts