GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 Silverado Custom dbl-cab 4WD 2.7 turbo which is rated for a max trailer weight of 6700lbs.
The same truck for 2021 is now rated to tow 9100lbs. According to GM, this is the result of more testing and "better than expected engine/trans cooling". No mechanical changes..
Before I continue, please know that I have 35 + years of towing experience from pop-ups to 33' fifth wheels and am well versed in what all the numbers mean. I am not looking to tow 9k with any 1/2 ton, regardless of power train.
I am simply trying to determine if the 2020 truck would now have the increased ratings?
I'm looking at towing about 4k/25' travel trailer but with equipment, water etc. I would be close to the 6700lb number.
Still well withing the payload & GVWR however.
For the record, the 2,7 turbo is amazing on the road but sounds like a Honda Civic. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2001 Suburban 5.3L, 296k miles
1,643 Posts
That 420 ft-lb torque at 1500 rpm is impressive.
The 5.3L NA is only 383 ft-lb at a higher rpm of 4100.
But I still cannot convince myself on a turbo. Just another component to grenade where shrapnels will get ingested at the intake

·
Registered
16,406 Posts
On paper, the 2.7 looks like a fabulous engine; would I tow 6700 with it, probably not.
My 2 cents, it belongs in a mid-size Colorado.
Yesterday I drove a buddies 2021 Sierra with the 3 lit diesel , that's a nice engine.

·
Registered
217 Posts
3.7MPG? Are you kidding me? 17.8 MPG is what my 5.7 V8 gets in my 97 Burb with 400 000 miles on an all original motor.

Small motors are not economically in big trucks with numbers like that.
I believe 3.7 is the mpg going up the incline. That's not uncommon. My 5.3 will get 25mpg at 70 mph all day long. However, towing a 5,000 pound object shaped like a brick is a whole other issue.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
5.3L gets 11-12 mpg towing my 5000 lb off road camper. With 8 cylinders working, not as much wear and tear compared to 4 cylinders at 4k rpm.

Reactions: thegawd

·
Registered
217 Posts
I can not say, my 1st thought is no; but I googled a YouTube vid, and they did all right towing 6700, so maybe I would.
Look at the vid and see what you think.

I have seen that video. Most of us don't pull a trailer shaped like a "V" in front like their example. I would like to see another test with a regular travel trailer at around the same weight.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
cknls, are you talking 5.3? I wanna know what the 2.7 Turbos mileage is but it is good to see comparison numbers.

I did not watch the whole video but I do believe they based that number from the 9 minutes of driving they did. man based off of all the numbers a carburetor big block get better fuel mileage while towing heavy loads.

there is no replacement for displacement.

Al

·
Registered
4,038 Posts

not towing anything and with a combined highway and city driving, Car and Driver could only achieve 16 MPG while the EPA advertised mileage is 20 MPG.

My burb gets better mileage than that! in all conditions, towing, highway and city driving it is routinely above 17 MPG. I can also haul 8 people at the same time.

My cousin was pissed when I told him that his brand new (at the time) 2018 Silverado with the 5.3 AFM engine, only got 1 MPG better than my old truck and he had to feather the peddle to get the number up to 18 MPG. normal driving my old truck was better!

so Based on real world experience, I dont buy ANY of this ****.

another buddy of mine bought a ram with a van engine in it. 3.6 L I think. I dont remember what year. he uses it as a work truck. he sold me his old 98 Sierra for next to nothing and he loved that truck. he said he made a big mistake. this tiny engine is costing him an arm and a leg to use it like the work truck he bought it for. he cant hardly pull a trailer and if he does mileage is through the roof.

Al

·
Registered
16,406 Posts
Here are the numbers without a trailer:

As I said earlier I would love to see that little rascal in the Colorado/Canyon trucks.

·
Registered
217 Posts
cknls, are you talking 5.3? I wanna know what the 2.7 Turbos mileage is but it is good to see comparison numbers.

I did not watch the whole video but I do believe they based that number from the 9 minutes of driving they did. man based off of all the numbers a carburetor big block get better fuel mileage while towing heavy loads.

there is no replacement for displacement.

Al
Yes-I was talking my 5.3

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
We better hold on to our normally aspirated V8s. It will disappear very soon?

Reactions: thegawd
1 - 20 of 24 Posts