GM Truck Club Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Gm has vowed to end the internal combustion engine by 2035. I'm pretty certain that they have already dropped some of their replacement engines and transmissions. I remember reading something about that anyways. like they did not renew the contracts with whomever does the remanufacturing of them. Iv seen some brand new engines still available so I'm not sure what the deal is. for the most part I'm talking about the 350/383. theres lots of LS stuff still available but GM is slowly shutting down support for the ICE!

Man this year's 2022 trucks dont have AFM or DFM. I think they have the internal parts, just not the chips or the programming. the 2022 5.3/6.2 trucks are probably going to be sought after.

·
Registered
16,691 Posts
Al, I suspect they have the mechanical pieces.

And Ive heard bad things about this year's (2021) engines, the lifters are failing at a high rate.
GM is blaming the suppliers for poor quality control and the suppliers are blaming COVID for poor materials.

·
Registered
‘01 Silverado 2500HD 8.1/Allison 5sp xcab long bed
4,013 Posts
Yup. I’m going to have my factory radiator rebuilt after the fiasco of trying to find one fit last spring. Guaranteed fit if the replacement ever does bite the big one.

·
Registered
GMC 2020 1500 Elevation 2.7L Crew Cab
1 Posts
I have a 2020 Silverado Custom dbl-cab 4WD 2.7 turbo which is rated for a max trailer weight of 6700lbs.
The same truck for 2021 is now rated to tow 9100lbs. According to GM, this is the result of more testing and "better than expected engine/trans cooling". No mechanical changes..
Before I continue, please know that I have 35 + years of towing experience from pop-ups to 33' fifth wheels and am well versed in what all the numbers mean. I am not looking to tow 9k with any 1/2 ton, regardless of power train.
I am simply trying to determine if the 2020 truck would now have the increased ratings?
I'm looking at towing about 4k/25' travel trailer but with equipment, water etc. I would be close to the 6700lb number.
Still well withing the payload & GVWR however.
For the record, the 2,7 turbo is amazing on the road but sounds like a Honda Civic. :rolleyes:
I see this post has long past. Yet really would like to hear if you are towing today with the 2.7L. I have a 2020 GMC 2.7L Elevation crew cab /two-wheel drive. 6800lbs towing and 1900 payload. Riding on 20"s. Currently towing RV. Total weight of Travel Trailer & Payload 4720lbs. I would like to purchase a new TT @ 5208lbs dry weight totals with a payload of 6,040lbs. I saw a Youtuber who recently picked up his New TT a Rockwood Minilite 22RBS dry weight 5100 lbs. Towing with a Chevy Colorado "mid Size" with a 7000lbs max towing capacity. He mentioned in normal conditions getting 9 mpg's at 62-64 mph. I know my 2.7L can handle it. My concern, I can not live with 7 mpgs at 60-62 mph. I want at least 8-9 mpg's 62-64 mph. Currently, with my RV now I'm getting 10.8-11.5 at 68 mph At 64 mph I'm getting 11.5-12.1 mpg. At 60 mph I can average 12.5 to 13.2 mpg. My current trailer is 7.4 feet wide the new TT will be 8ft wide that's 6 inches wider and makes a difference with wind resistance.

·
Registered
16,691 Posts
Just a note, the Colorado doesn't use the 2.7, that guy would have the 3.6 gas or the 2.5 diesel

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
theres no replacement for displacement. When your towing you need the largest motor possible to get up to and maintain speed. if your just getting groceries the little motor should do just fine.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts