GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 03 2500HD a little over a year ago and I love it. However it seems to me that the front end seems lower than some of the other 2500HD that I see from day to day. It has the 6.0L gas engine extended cab 6.5' bed and about 62,000 miles on it. So here is my questions, first would it be worth trying to replace the torsion bars and see if that is the problem? I know there are quite a few leveling kits out there but this is my everyday truck and want the same ride, handling, and not cause any other problems so is there any levelig kits out there that do that. Third can someone with a similar truck take some measurements for me say from the ground to the middle top of the front bumper and one from the ground at the center of the wheel to the top of the fender so I can compare them to mine and make sure that I am not crazy? Thank in advance.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
You're not crazy. I have a 2006 2500HD w/Duramax and the front end is always lower. The best leveling kit I have found that will add a couple of inches without giving up any factory ride comfort are torsion bar keys. Here is a link to the site where I bought my keys.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
your not crazy every truck is lower in the front than the back really... torsion bar keys really dont mess with your ride very much unless you go over 2 inches.... It is a cheap way to lift your truck and level it and wont hurt ride comfort much if at all... so basically if you get the keys I'd suggest cranking them to an 1.5"

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
your not crazy every truck is lower in the front than the back really... torsion bar keys really dont mess with your ride very much unless you go over 2 inches.... It is a cheap way to lift your truck and level it and wont hurt ride comfort much if at all... so basically if you get the keys I'd suggest cranking them to an 1.5"
correction: Every CHEVY truck sits lower in the front. We chevy guys sacrifice level front ends in order to get better ride quality than the F**D guys.

My friend has a Duramax and he just cranked on the torsion bars to get a better ride height. I think it's stiffer in the front now though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I still have no idea on what to do here. I really don't want to do anything that is going to hurt the ride or cause other problems later on down the road. I did crawl under the truck tonight and it looks like there is about 1" maybe a little more of threads exposed that would allow me to crank that in and see what happens. I have done a ton of reading and it just doesn't seem like there is a clear answer that I'm looking for. There is also also about a 2" difference from the measurement on the front tire to the fender compaired to the rear. Even if I could get 1" or 1.5" out of cranking the bolts I would be happy, but I will need to take it to the alignment shop. At any rate keep the suggestions coming and especially if you added keys or have some experince with a certain product.

·
Registered
3 Posts
yeah...my 01 sierra 1500 has the torsion bars raised 2" the front does ride slightly stiffer, but no that much of a difference. Like others said, if u want a cheap, easy fix, adjust the torsion bars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts